Help setting up my HP all-in-one

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrislaw, May 31, 2010.

1. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Ok, so after doing some searching on here I'm not really finding anything specific enough.

I basically need a dummy walk-through on this. I have an older HP 5510v all-in-one. It is connected to my HP desktop in another room. I would like to install it on my Macbook and iMac wirelessly. I do not have the installation disc, though i did go to HP's site and downloaded and installed the OS X 10.6 driver on my iMac.

This is where my lack of intelligence on the matter shines through... what the heck do i do now? lol

I have a wireless network in my house, though I've never printed wirelessly and don't think my printer is on the network... I really have never set a printer up for anything like that. I really like my old 5510 though :) been a great printer.

Thanks for any help.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Um...I think you'd find things simpler if you plugged and shared the printer on your iMac ;)

I pulled my hair out for two days STRAIGHT, before I finally created a network on Windows. Then I had to do it all over again and gave up.

On my Mac, I set one up day one without referring to the net or anything.

Yeah...

So set the computer up to use on your iMac, then go into System Preferences, Sharing, and click on Printer Sharing. Check the box next to it and check the box next to the printers you want to share. :D

3. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

haha, ok. Well that was my next step, just plugging it straight into my iMac but hated to move it... I fear you may be right as my scavenging google is leaving me with similar stories to yours :eek:

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Next step? Not if you want the fortitude of your hair follicles intact, afterward. XD

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I just set up my new all in one with help from the HP tech support. I didn't need to plug it into anything but the electric outlit. Basically, we went through settings on the unit for it to communicate with my airport. Then we changed settings on both imacs to control the printer through the airport. Try tech support, see if they will help you even though you said it is older.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well, then, you can't do what I did. Sorry. Call tech support anyway. Couldn't hurt.

8. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

yeah, I tried the support but said i couldn't do it with safari. Needed Firefox or IE. I think I'll just do the old fashioned route or buy a newer one and pass this one down.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

In Safari, go to Preferences. Go to Advanced, and check "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Now go to the site you're trying to reach. Click the Develop menu, go to User Agent and click on an Internet Explorer version and it will make the source think you're using IE. ;)

10. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

nice! thanks... geesh had no idea.