HELP setting up NAS with iTunes and Time Machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LORDMARKS, Nov 4, 2011.

1. LORDMARKS macrumors newbie

Hello all. I've tried looking this up, but no luck... I have got an NSA310 NAS drive that I want to set up with iTunes and hopefully Time Machine. I have enabled all settings, but when I click on server within iTunes... nothing!

HELP ME PLEASE! :)

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't know about the specifics of your drive, but I recently ran into a similar problem with my WD MyBook Live NAS: Apparently the latest release of iTunes conflicted with the drive's ability to act as an iTunes server.

Western Digital has announced that they are releasing a firmware update that will address this issue, but in the meantime the NAS simply serves as backup.

Best to contact the maker of your device for possible solutions and workarounds. Growing iTunes libraries are a big driver of sales in the NAS market, and manufacturers are aware of the issue.

3. LORDMARKS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much

I shall contact ZyXEL and see what they have to say

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You don't need your NAS to use its iTunes server to hold your iTunes library. I've had my iTunes library on my Thecus NAS for years. Just copied my files to it and pointed iTunes (on my computer) to it as the library location. The only thing you have to make sure is that you mount your fileshare before opening iTunes.