Help setting up second screen (not working)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by headnodders, Mar 19, 2013.

1. headnodders macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thanks for reading this. I am trying to set up another screen for my mac. I have an Insigna 24" 1080p TV. I have the Mini Display adapter as well. I plugged all that in and at first the MAC screen flash blue for a few second and goes back to normal my TV screen goes back to NO SIGNAL.

I opened the display menu in the preference and no arragement tab exists there even if the screen is plugged. Any one have an idea of how this could be fixed?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Maybe the problem is the TV, try looking in the TV's menu if there are any settings concerning a PC connection.
    Btw, it's Mac, not MAC, that's something else.:p

3. headnodders thread starter macrumors newbie

lol. I fiddled with the TV menu and everything looks normal. I plugged the same wire directly into my gilfriend's HP computer and it worked just fine. So cable is ok. The minidisplay adapter is borrowed from a friend just unplugged it and was working fine there . . . bullocks

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You did all things right, so it is the OS giving the problems.

Two more things you can try although I don't think they will work, one of them is a safe boot and the other is making a new User Account and login into that account, see if this helps, if not you could try installing OS X on a USB stick (minimum 8 GB and boot from there, if it still does not work I run out of ideas, must be a bug in OS X.

5. headnodders thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats weird...I plugged the macbook to my 42" inch Samsung downstairs. This time a new tab appeared in the display menu called Gather windows. Once I click on it, it open a second window called samsung where I can select the resolution I want to use on the second screen. No matter what resolution I pick, my TV says, resolution not compatible please select another resolution....

Has anyone ever experience something similar?