Help Setting up Time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by comptr, Oct 19, 2008.

1. comptr macrumors 65816

Hi I need some help setting this complicated setup here is what I have I picked up a 500gig TC, 1tb usb hd , usb hub, plus my network that I already have 1N router 2 gigabit switchs, 1 320 hd , and 1tb hd. Here is what I am trying to do I want to connect the TC to the N router as a extra unit then plug the usb hub into the tc then plug the 3 hd to the usb hub. The computers that are on the network are 1 macbook pro, 1 Imac, 1 Windows vista pc, and also (1 mac mini )(in a few months). I want to be able to backup from the 3 computers and be able to use the setup as a nas so that I can stream video and audio from the setup. is what I trying to do impossible with my setup. All of the computers are hardwired except the Imac. The mini will also be hardwired. Can I also get into the network when I am outside the network.

2. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

OK, for your set-up, here's what you will want to do...

You want to use your N router as the modem for the Time Capsule. I'll explain how to set it up so you have two networks in your house.

1. Open AirPort utility, and select you Time Capsule on the right hand side. (If your Time Capsule does not show up, try connecting via Ethernet, or do a hard reset, by pressing the reset button on the back of your Time Capsule, until the light flashes rapidly)

2. Click Manual Setup on the bottom left corner.

3 Make sure the AirPort heading is selected, then click the Time Capsule tab.

4. Insert a name for your TC (This is NOT your SSID), password to access your disks,and check "Set Time Automatically" and make sure the time for your area is correct.

5 Next, go to the Wireless tab, and in Wireless Mode, select "Create a Wireless Network"

6. Select your radio mode, if you want to allow b/g devices to connect to your network, make sure "802.11n (b/g compatible)" is selected, otherwise select "802.11n 5Ghz".

7. Choose a channel, by default this will be channel 1, if there are a lot of wireless networks in your area, choose something more unique, like 3, or 8. (I find 8 works best).

8. Choose your network password, WPA/WPA2 Personal is best. Check "Remember this password in my Keychain"

9. Go to the Access tab, and make sure that MAC address access control is set to not enabled.

10. Now select the Internet heading, and make sure the following information is correct:

CONNECT USING: ETHERNET
    CONFIGURE IPv4: USING DHCP
    ETHERNET WAN PORT: AUTOMATIC
    CONNECTION SHARING: OFF (BRIDGE MODE)

9. Now click Update, and your TC will restart.

10. Turn off your TC (After restart), and connect your USB Hub. Connect all your drives and printer. (You may want to partition your drives in Disk Utility, but this can be done later)

11. Power up your TC, hard drives and printer.

12. Open Air Port Utility, select Manual Setup, and select the Printers tab, make sure your printer shows up next to "USB Printers", then go to the Disks tab, and make sure your disks show up on the right hand pane.

Also, select the File Sharing tab (Under Disks) to set-up your file sharing preferences. I have mine set up to Secure Disks with the TC password. (The password you entered at the start, not your network password, this can be changed in the Airport tab, then Time Capsule tab.)

13. Add your printer to your Mac. Go to System Prefs and click the + icon (If your printer isn't already there)

14. Add your printer to your PC (Instructions here)

15. Set up Time Machine on all of your Mac's. Go to System Preferences on each of your Mac's, and select Time Machine, then your Time Capsule. Insert your disk password (Not your network password) and hey presto! Automatic back-up activated! It may take a good few hours to back up the entire contents of your Mac - so be patient.

For media set-up. you could stream movies, TV shows, music etc of it from your Mac, but you can't transfer your iTunes Library onto it, if that's what you mean.

Also, you can only access your hard drives connected to your TC when you are connected to the TC, or your N router. You can also do back-ups to your TC when connected to your N router.

(Remember through this process, you shouldn't need to change any of the configuration settings for your N router)

Hope this helps!!

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

4. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the great list of what I need to do. Too Bad the TC I bought last night has a dead HD. :mad:

5. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Now that is unlucky!

Anyway, I hope it will help you set up your TC (Without the dead HD), and if you've got any more questions, just ask!

6. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

what do I do if I have to restart the DHCP release button more then once.? Also I have a hard drive thats NTFS formated and it makes the TC freak out and it gives a orange light when it is plugged in.

7. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

For your hard drive issue, I have a few drives connected to my Time Capsule, for Mac users, I format it in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). For the windows PC's in the house, I usually just format in MS-DOS. You could also partition a drive Mac OS Extended and MS-DOS for your PC.

So you'll need to connect your drives you want to re-format into your Mac. Open Disk Utility (In Applications, then Utilities) and select the drives on the left hand pane. Remember you will loose all your data that is on the hard drives, so back up your data if you need to!!

As with the orange light, go to AirPort Utility, and select your TC on the left.

Select Manual Setup, and in the Summary pane, and click on "Status". This will tell you what is causing the problems with your TC.

If you don't know what is wrong with it, or wish to start from scratch at setting up your TC,do what is called a hard-reset.

First, get a pencil or paper clip, go round the back of your TC, and hold in the small button next to the Kensington lock area. Wait until the light on your TC starts flashing rapidly, then you may stop.

Your TC will boot-up and will appear in AirPort Utility again, ready for set-up.

(Remember through this process, you shouldn't need to change any of the configuration settings for your N router)

Hopefully this helps - any more questions, just ask!

8. hazelbrook macrumors newbie

hazelbrook

Thanks for the great instructions...this help alot!!!!