Help setting up windows on SSD in optibay with usb dvdrom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rodh257, Apr 13, 2011.

1. rodh257 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to the mac world, just bought a 13" macbook pro 2011 a couple of weeks ago. I'm a windows developer so I need to get windows on it, and am having some issues.

I've bought a fenvi drive bay to replace the DVD drive with an SSD. In the caddy I've put a Vertex 2 120gb. That all works fine, I can access the drive in OSX. So I decided to try bootcamp. I want to have windows solely on the SSD, and OSX on half of the main HDD.

Seeing as I no longer have a CD rom, I bought from macfixit.com.au, an adapter to make my dvd drive into an external one. This seems to work ok in OSX.

However when I try to boot from it to install windows after running through bootcamp, all I get is a black screen. I thought it might be the CD rom, so I got an external 3.5" sata hard drive caddy and put a DVD drive that I took out of my pc into it, when I do this, it goes to the same black sreen but this time there is a _ flashing.

It is possible that both USB drives are a bit crap, so I've been trying to use the windows 7 usb download tool to make a USB bootable windows 7 version, i made it, but I couldn't get the mac to boot off it, even with that reefit program.

I even then tried taking out the main hard drive, and connecting up my PC's DVD Rom to that port, but then the mac wouldn't even boot into the boot device choosing section (I guess some of the boot files are on the hard drive?).

Can anyone give me any hints as to what I'm doing wrong??? Is there some other way I can get around this?

2. rodh257 thread starter macrumors newbie