help setting up

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rmc17, Nov 26, 2013.

1. rmc17 macrumors newbie

I have many .m4v files of movies on an external hd. I would like to be able to watch them on my hdtv. these are the components i have:
    apple tv3
    ipad2
    iphone5s
    ps3
    ps4
    macbook (2009 i believe)
    samsung hdtv w/ 2 HDMI inputs

I have tried to envision some way to get the .m4v files streamed to the hdtv but i have come up empty. i fear Im going to need one more component, like a mac mini. I have no other computer peripherals, monitor, etc., available. I'd like to do it as inexpensively as possible, of course.
    Any thoughts, suggestions? And how you would link these pieces together to achieve my goal?
    Thanks so much for your time...

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Import the movies into your iTunes library on MacBook, set up home sharing in iTunes and on ATV and stream away.

3. rmc17, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

rmc17 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i wouldnt need to actually import if i left the external hd plugged in and navigated to it in My Library in itunes on macbook? Im concerned about space on macbook.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Don't need to use airplay for "home sharing".

5. rmc17 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, sorry - my mistake

6. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Install what? Just use external plugged into MacBook. Home sharing streams over your home network.

7. iceman17 macrumors newbie

You just have to plug in the external to your Macbook, then drag the movies in. Make sure you go to itunes preferences/advanced 1st and uncheck the button "Copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library"

8. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

You can import the titles into iTunes library and leave the files on ext. HDD.