Help setup S530 w/o LCC Bloatware

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nightsky, Apr 6, 2007.

1. nightsky macrumors member

Newbie user just received S530 keyboard & mouse but after reading thru forum realized LCC software is more trouble than its worth.
    In the thread "Logitech Control Center, Avoid Bloatware" alot of users mentioned Steermouse and Controller Mate as alternatives to installing LCC. Can someone explain howto download, install and setup alternative software for Software for this keyboard and mouse?
    Do I have to use any software to hookup S530 to PB G4 or can I plug keyboard and mouse in and play without installing extrenuous stuff?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And your problem leading you to believe the Logitech Control Center is bloatware is...

3. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

other users experience

can I just install drivers for mouse & keyboard. Control center is 12mb and there is a whole post warning not to use LCC software although hardware is great??? Checkout StearMouse its only 1mb and controlMate but there seems to be more a few controlMate drivers for gamers? I'm not a gamer just want to be able to use all the buttons on S530 keyboard.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The mouse and keyboard should work just fine without installing any drivers. Certain media buttons and application functions won't work though.

Why are you really worried about 12 MB of hard drive space?

5. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Eidorian, Look at enclosed thread!

logitech control center: AVOID!! BLOATWARE!!
    I just don't want to install software that is going to create problems. What do u think about StearMouse and controlMate?

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

the keyboard and mouse work fine without, however you wont have the extra buttons on the mouse (other than the 4 apple allows you to programme) and you wont have the itunes shortcuts etc on the keyboard, i use logitech control center problem free, it works, and thats what i want, i WOULDNT recommend controller mate and steermouse, they complicate things, keep it simple, esp if your a noob.

LCC is using 10.16MB right now, i could turn off 1 widget to reclaim that

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I read the thread before I made my first post and I found the comments to be very exaggerated.

It is currently using 8 MB of Real Memory on my Mac mini. I see the drive space that it uses as a complete non-issue. I find the program to be much more functional than it was in older versions. Install it and TRY it out for yourself. If you hate it still then please uninstall it. (It's remarkably easy for such a terrible application!)

After all that then you can come back here and tell me what you thought.

I have never had a crash or Kernel Panic associated the Logitech Control Center on many Macs that I have maintained within my department and at home.

8. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Thankyou

OK and thankyou. I wouldnt know if anyone is exagerating ;) Did use LCC software and am pleasantly surprised. Keyboard and mouse are working they are suposed to. ;) this is my first wireless setup and it is soooo amazing. Have to get over my excitement and start making all my new equipment pay for itself. lolol

9. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

nightsky

I received your PM and answered you there. But as I read through the forums tonight I found this thread and thought I would answer publicly also. Obviously you have done well with searching, because it's been a while since I posted about the S530. (Big hint to others!!!)

I'm not sure where all of this bloatware came from, and frankly don't care, but I added the S530 to my mac mini back in Oct '06 (I think). I used it out of the box before realizing that all of the functions were not available on the kbd and mouse. I was a total newbie to mac's at that point, and still consider myself as somewhat so, although it has totally replaced Windows now - well almost. But I digress. I visited the logitech site and downloaded the current drivers and installed them. That's when the K/M showed up in System Preferences and things operated the way I expected them to. I am nothing but pleased with this, and have only had to replace the batteries in the mouse since then - that was last month. I am sure there is better out there, and I am sure that there are others who think this setup is crap, but each to his own.

Thanks for asking me privately about this, and I am happy to pass on my experience and observations.

Have a good day!