Help Sharing internet via WiFi on iMac to windows PC (Need to find KEY)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rollsroyce442, Sep 11, 2008.

1. rollsroyce442 macrumors member

I share my cable connection on my iMac with my iPod touch all the time. I have an old acer laptop running XP and I'm trying to connect via WiFi. I've tried lots of stuff and its asking me for a network key.

Two questions:

1) How do I find my network key

2) Is there an easy way to set this network up? (I'd really like to be able to work from the couch)

2. AreYouShur macrumors newbie

AreYouShur

It's been awhile since I've worked with windows networks...but if memory serves, you should be able to go into the wireless (or network?) options and log in as an admin to that network and see the key. I'm assuming the network is set up through the windows PC.

If i'm wrong and the network is set up through the Mac, the process should be relatively the same. As long as that computer is an admin to the network (or that computer was used to create the network itself) you should be able to view it in your network or wireless options.

These are either in Control Panel (PC) or System Preferences (Mac).

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Actually, I assume the OP has internet sharing turned on and is using his Mac as a wireless access point. Is that right?

If so, you need to find out what the password was you set up for your Airport Wireless sharing when you turned it on. When you click on Airport Options you get a dialog where you can enter a WEP password. It says under that "If you plan to share your Internet connection with non-Apple computers, use a 5 character password for a 40-bit WEP key and a 13 character password for a 128-bit WEP key."

If necessary modify the password you already entered to match these requirements (you would have to change your iPod's connection password if you change this.)