Help!! - Should I be worried about my Mini?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dschiller, Jul 25, 2007.

1. dschiller macrumors regular

Hi all

Yesterday, I left my Mini while making a download using the built-in downl. manager from Firefox. When I came back, the computer had freezed (the download hadn't completed) and the screen was dimmed, with a warning saying "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button":

[​IMG]
    (sorry for the poor quality, I had to take it with my cell phone camera)

I was very scared of a hardware problem with my Mini, but I did what it told me to and when I booted into OS X, I got this message:

[​IMG]

I clicked report and nothing seemed to happen, but since OS X seemed to be working fine, I didn't bother much.

Today, however, I started my Mini and launched Onyx to do some maintenance (permissions, etc). Right after it had checked my HDD and told me it seemed to be fine, I got the same warning message, followed by the same white box I got on the first time I rebooted my Mini.

The only relevant thing I had done to my Mini was to install Boot Camp and boot Windows both through it and through VMWare's Fusion. Besides that, just regular surfing, editing, etc.

Should I be worried?

I appreciate any replies!

Daniel

2. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I've had it once, about 3 months ago I think... since then, I've had no problems or errors

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Your getting Kernal Panic's from somewhere.

Have you upgraded any hardware?

What programs have you installed aside BootCamp?

4. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

I've installed OSEx (does the same thing as MacTheRipper), a trial of BetterZip, D-Vision 3, DVD Ripper, File Stitcher MP3, Handbrake, MacTheRipper, Max, OpenShiiva, Senuti, Toast and updated Onyx to the newest stable version.

I've also recently (on Sunday, to be precise) transfered about 60Gb of data (videos, photos, docs, etc) from my Mini's internal HDD to a new External HD I recently bought.

EDIT: Btw, good to see a TG fan here :)

Any ideas?

5. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

6. tonyibook macrumors newbie

Over the last couple of years I have had two episodes of kernel panics. One was caused by the Logitech Control Center software, and one was caused by a Belkin USB Hub which I replaced.

In both cases I tried removing all devices and uninstalling any recently installed software. USB can cause problems, is your new drive USB?

7. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Now that you mentioned it, I installed the Logitech Control Center on Sunday together with my new Revolution VX!! I never thought it could have something to do with my kernel panics. I was expecting more from Logitech...

Should I unninstall it? Any software that can do what it does?

Cheers
    Daniel

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

The source of your problems is definitively the Logitech Controll Center. That piece of software caused repeated Kernel panics on my MBP, till i traced the problem to it. Luckily, my mouse works fine with the MBP without the Logitech Control Center. As an alternative, you could try USB overdrive, which does cost money.

9. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Got it, thanks for the heads-up!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There has got to be something with the logictech thing. It crashed two drives at work for me.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

install "USB-Overdrive" instead. works a lot better. kernal panics happen, they are basically the same as a BSoD. they can be caused by software, but mainly hardware, and sometimes just happen. Your Mini will be ok. when you restart and you get that dialog box, you should send a report to Apple. That way the issue may get fixed.

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Also, if you have Norten Anti Virus, I would switch to something like Intego's software because it has also been known to cause kernel Panics. I went through a HUGE drama with Norten.