Help!!! should i buy i new imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by neto333, Aug 11, 2013.

  1. neto333 macrumors newbie

    May 22, 2012
    hello everybody, first im going to tell you why i need a new imac and what are my needs, i have an imac from 2009, but it has broken, and im going to university tomorrow, the problem with my old imac is that screen dosent starts, i mean the mac is still working you can hear everything, i go to my local store to an inspection, and they say that the problem is the display in is going to cost like 1000 dollars and they dont give me any warranty.
    My old imac is an
    • is an imac 27" from late 2009
    • 1TB hard drive
    • 4GB RAM
    • intel i5

    i saw the macrumors buyer guide and it says that is not really a good option to buy a new imac, because there were rumors of new macs in june or july, but we are in august, does anybody knows if there are new rumors or something, do you know any information about the problem with my old imac?
    thank you very much.
  2. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

    Mr. Dee

    Dec 4, 2003
    You might wanna wait

    Analyst are saying new iMac could arrive in August:

    The analyst tends to be right based on their history. So you might want to tough it out.

    Personally, you might even want to consider another form factory such as notebook. Why?

    iMac dying after 5 years, especially the display, wouldn't want to go back there.

    You are going to college, you want something with mobility.

    Overall, I think you should tough it out. If you can even borrow a laptop until mid September, it would give you a chance to make a better decision.

    At the end of the day, if you really, really need it and can't wait, go buy it.
  3. michelg1970 macrumors regular


    Jul 26, 2011
    Gouda - The Netherlands
    Yes! Do it.

    Who knows when exactly the next one is coming out and what the particular advantage of its specs will be. I just traded in my 2010 iMac for the 2012 maxed out version and am happy with it.

    OK I could have waited again but now I got a good deal and ended up with a very fast machine.

    Of course the Yes Do It is different for everybody. In my case, as said, I made a good deal. Hope you can do it too.
  4. historyteacher macrumors member

    May 23, 2010
    While I didn't buy a maxed out model, I just bought a refurb 27. Love it for my needs. Managed to get it on tax free weekend too. Just couldn't pass up the savings. I'm sure there will be something cool I would want on the next model, but couldn't we always say that no matter what?

    Good luck!
  5. kazmac macrumors 603


    Mar 24, 2010
    On the silver scream
    if you need it now OP

    go for it. There will always be updates: buy when you need it.

    As far as your display, I don't know what's wrong but if that was the repair quote I got, I'd skip fixing it for a new replacement.

    Good luck.

Share This Page