iPhone 11 Pro Help - Should I return this 11 Pro for imperfection? (pic)

AppleMango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hi guys,

just received my new 11 Pro via network carrier in GERMANY.

After setting it up I found an imperfection, have a look at this around the flash light to the right side:

It is like the aluminium is not properly coloured.
IMG_0206.jpeg

I have AppleCare on it, bought it straight away - but what do I do?

I had nightmares setting this phone up with eSIM and watch and it took me 12h and 4 phone calls to my carrier to fix it and I don't know how that would be treated.

With Apple you just return it and buy a new one - but with a carrier?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

FlyingDutch

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Hi guys,

just received my new 11 Pro via network carrier in GERMANY.

After setting it up I found an imperfection, have a look at this around the flash light to the right side:

It is like the aluminium is not properly coloured.
View attachment 884844

I have AppleCare on it, bought it straight away - but what do I do?

I had nightmares setting this phone up with eSIM and watch and it took me 12h and 4 phone calls to my carrier to fix it and I don't know how that would be treated.

With Apple you just return it and buy a new one - but with a carrier?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
That part is not aluminum. It is glass.
If it bothers you, return it and buy another one.
If you request for a replacement, it would be a refurbished. Since your is brand new, I would return and buy a new one.

Reactions: Northern Man

AppleMango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Apologies, fixed the image now @Plett .

Thanks @FlyingDutch ; to me it looked like there is a glass panel above the aluminium body and the holes of the flash were not perfectly made.

@junkw : I appreciate your input and like it. But will a buyer later down the line think the same? :S

Reactions: Plett

ARizz44

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Im not sure how it works in Germany, but in the US, you have a 14 day return window with the various carriers. However, some carriers if not all charge a restock fee. I know the corporate Verizon stores where I live used to charge $35 and now it’s $50. You may want to inquire about that. But don’t use an AppleCare replacement just for that blemish. Not with the deductible cost you’d pay. If you can return for free and re-purchase a new one, I would suggest that.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I see it now. I wouldn't bother with it personally since it would not affect functionality, and I would never notice it in daily use.

If it is bothering you and I assume it is, return it and buy a new one.

AppleMango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Thank you for your responses.

I will contact carrier tomorrow, @ARizz44 , thanks.
@Plett : Thank you. I will investigate what my options are. I am sure I would not notice anything of it during the day, maybe it is just the "shock" of discovering it now fresh out of the box after a few days.

Reactions: ARizz44 and Plett

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
If everything else is good then just keep it man.

We all have massive anxiety over our new stuff for the few weeks/months but it will fade.

Apologies, fixed the image now @Plett .

Thanks @FlyingDutch ; to me it looked like there is a glass panel above the aluminium body and the holes of the flash were not perfectly made.

@junkw : I appreciate your input and like it. But will a buyer later down the line think the same? :S
Unless they work professionally in a jewellery store I highly doubt they’d notice.

I mean it’s so minuscule, it will certainly have much more noticeable scuffs by the time you sell it.

Reactions: junkw

Fali1991

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2019
I would return and buy a new one. That’s unacceptable for such an expensive device. Vote with your wallet and Apple will listen

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I’d probably keep it however I usually just pass my devices on to family members when I get a new one anyway. However if it bothers you then returning it is probably the better option.

AppleMango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Thank you all for your thoughts.

I came to the conclusion that I have to get it changed.
I know it is worth to question yourself and that kind of OCD-behaviour, but I know I would always be aware of it and would question myself. It is an expensive phone, apple claims to be the best and they have to deliver on that. I also plan to move on to the 2020-iPhone if it's worth so I'd rather have a phone I feel comfortable with selling....

I'll keep you updated and hope it is fixed within a week - it is a real hassle to get it exchanged.

THANKS

Reactions: ARizz44

AndrewR23

macrumors 68040
Jun 24, 2010
That part is not aluminum. It is glass.
If it bothers you, return it and buy another one.
If you request for a replacement, it would be a refurbished. Since your is brand new, I would return and buy a new one.
apple does not replace with refurbished phones.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
apple does not replace with refurbished phones.
Yes they do.

WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT OF A WARRANTY CLAIM?
If during the warranty period you submit a claim during the warranty period this warranty, Apple will, at its option:
(i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or
(ii) replace the Apple Product with the same model (or with your consent a product that has similar functionality) formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or
(iii) refund your purchase price in exchange for the return of your Apple Product.

Last edited:

imp3rator

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2019
In Europe (as i know) Apple authorized service can replace unit with a another unit in exactly the same condition. So if you want replace a new iPhone, they can use refurbished iPhone (new front glass, new battery etc, so that mached a terms "same condition".)

AppleMango

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Quick update to the situation:

After returning the phone it took about a week (due to bank holidays ) to get a brand new one out of the box and it is in a perfect condition and gives me great pleasure! Had no hassle to get it exchanged which was quite convenient, even though a week is a long time to wait.

So far so good - thank you guys for the feedback! Feels like I've done the right thing.

Reactions: Jetcat3

LordJabun

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2020
You did do the right thing, it would probably be in the back of your mind for as long as you'd have it. Good to get it out of the way and be at peace.

Reactions: AppleMango