Help, SIM not recognized

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Leas, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Leas macrumors newbie

So a friend of mine (yes, a friend :)) had this unlocked iPhone 3GS. I knew nothing about the unlock or what sort of unlock it was, and neither did she. She hadn't upgraded it for a long time and was on 3.1.2. I offered her an upgrade and she upgraded (the latest upgrade available today), but her SIM card stopped being recognized by the phone after that. I jailbroke it with limera1n and tried installing ultrasn0w, but it says in the middle of the installation every time I try it that it "Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network".

After this failed installation, the SIM card went from not being recognized at all to being recognized, but just searching for a phone provider without finding one. I tried installing a custom APN for the Swedish phone provider, didn't help. I tried to use Pwnage tool, but apparently that requires a Mac OS, which I don't have.

Any tips for fixing this? I'm willing to downgrade or do whatever it takes as long as it starts working again. Thanks in advance.

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

"(the latest upgrade available today)"

Sounds like you updated to 4.1 and the new locked modem firmware it comes with. You are stuck. You shouldn't have updated that way. Now you get to wait for an unlock to come out because you can't downgrade the modem firmware on a 3GS.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Not sure why your friend trusted you with her unlocked phone. But by now she must have realized you have no idea what you were doing. Unfortunately the price she pays is a phone that no longer works. Next time you should come and ask questions first instead of just taking the plunge.

5. Leas thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know anything about the unlock, and neither did she. I guess we should be more careful with upgrades. Anyone know which unlocks we should look out for? Ultrasn0w?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes, that's the one, for the next update (4.2) make sure you/her don't update it w/ the official fw again, there might be a new update to ultras0w to unlock it coming from the dev team after 4.2 is out...