Help! Sl Wont Accept My Password!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by A Macbook Pro, Aug 31, 2009.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Guys, I really need help here. I've just installed a clean SL. It's worked fine, but I'm trying to use Disk Utility and it won't let me erase another partition, verify disk permissions or anything! When I try to, it tells me to type my name and password, I do that, and it gives me ''You must type an administrators name and password to make changes to disk utility''. But I just gave it my name and password! I've tryed logging out, and it let me log back in and accepted me no worries, but it won't let me use disk utility or system preferences!

2. Marimoman macrumors newbie

You can try booting from the SL DVD and using the Password Reset Utility on your account.

3. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

your admin password may be different to your normal one that you login with.
    I don't know how to find it but you would have set it when you got leopard.

good suggestion above from Marimoman. I am not quite sure if it is possible to reset the admin pass but you must be able to. It wouldn't make any sense to make it so you couldn't. that would be very secure but a bit stupid.

4. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

That might work. Thanks alot!

5. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome idea, but didn't work. It reset the password, looked like everything was going to work, still gives me the same message. It's saying my ''Login Keychain'' may be locked, any of you guys know what that might mean?

6. MrZapotek macrumors newbie

do you sync it with mobileme or anything?

I sync my keychain with it and after a clean install of SL I got a password message (don´t remember why or how) and I had to use the password I used on my last installation - not the new one for SL.

7. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I think I'm getting there. For some reason, I'm not an admin account! That's why it's asking for admin privileges and I can't give it to my Mac. Only problem is, there isn't an admin account on my Mac now! I've still got Leopard installed on another partition, with an admin account, but I doubt that'll do anything.

8. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, problem solved, Googled it, I had to boot into something and type some commands and then I got to create an admin account. All I had to do then was give my old one admin privileges, then delete the one I had to create. Awesome, SL is now totally up and running :D