HELP Slow and barely connecting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seabreeze56, Dec 9, 2016.

1. seabreeze56 macrumors newbie

seabreeze56

My system is sierra 10.12.1 macbook pro late 2012 4GB. My laptop is running SO slow. Dial up is better than this. I'm getting err time outs all the time. It took me a good 10 min. to get here. What is wrong with it?? I've googled for the time outs but nothing has worked. I"m using chrome. Safari is the same.

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Have you tried rebooting the laptop?
    Have you tried rebooting the router?
    Have you tried rebooting the modem?

3. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

This. Power cycle your modem/router.

4. seabreeze56 thread starter macrumors newbie

seabreeze56

5. linguist macrumors member

try running with everything external disconnected (usb devices , charger)

6. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

How are other devices connected to your network?

7. seabreeze56 thread starter macrumors newbie

seabreeze56

We have a desk top (an old mac) running fine using the same network, just this laptop having major connecting issues. Errors timed out etc....
    --- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2016 ---
    Just tried changing DNS servers. open DNS and google. See if that helps.... I"m just googling everything I can when I can. It's taken me over 4 hours just to find things because I get timed out

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Can you please use bigger font? I can’t read the small letters in your post. o_O

9. seabreeze56 thread starter macrumors newbie

seabreeze56

We have a desk top (an old mac) running fine using the same network, just this laptop having major connecting issues. Errors timed out etc....
    Just tried changing DNS servers. open DNS and google. See if that helps.... I"m just googling everything I can when I can. It's taken me over 4 hours just to find things because I get timed out

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The OP apparently forgot to turn on the sarcasm detector :rolleyes:

11. seabreeze56 thread starter macrumors newbie

seabreeze56

Did a speed test and my ping is 64ms, download is 3.54Mbps, upload is .65Mbps
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---

I was actually going to say... go get a magnifying glass then :) . Is that good enough sarcasm? ha, ha......

12. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Go to System Preferences>Network. At the top there will be the word "Location" next to a drop down menu, click on the drop down menu, click Edit Locations, on the next window, click the +, enter a name scheme of your choosing... or leave as default "Untitled". Click "Done". Go to the drop down menu at the top and select "Untitled" or whatever you have named it... Wait about 30 seconds, if the computer hasn't reconnected to your network, Reconnect and test.

13. seabreeze56 thread starter macrumors newbie

seabreeze56

ok... so I don't want to jinx it yet.. but so far so good!! It's loading pages. What did that do for the computer then? Why did it might fix it?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---

14. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Loaded a default set of network settings with the creation of the new location.

15. seabreeze56 thread starter macrumors newbie

seabreeze56

I don't know if this did the trick or not but this morning, I turned OFF wifi, re-booted, turned wifi back on and so far it's working and has been for an hour. Fast loading pages, no error pages. WEIRD!! Could that have fixed it??
    I've been on the apple pages just going thru ALL the trouble shooting with Sierra. And yes they also suggested the default setting.