HELP! Smcfancontrol

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicknicknickh, Jun 13, 2011.

1. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

OKay so I downloaded smcfancontrol and accidentally changed the default speed for the right and left fans under preferences now I'm not sure what it was set at for default I want to put it back like it was before I had the app like mac out of the box? Or atleast what the applications default RPM is. Also if I raise it higher I assume it cools my mac more? and if I put it too low it will not cool it enough and fry my mac?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't even need apps like SMCfancontrol. Your Mac will manage fans and temps quite well, without any 3rd party app or user interaction.

4. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

If I'm using the program will my mac still ramp up the speed if it notices that it is getting hot and will raising the fans generate some heat? Could I keep it at like 4000 RPM always?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP is designed so the fans stay on all the time the Mac is on, at a minimum of 2000 rpm. They spin faster as needed to keep temps in the normal operating range. You don't need to alter the default arrangement.

6. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

Is it okay that I made a preset from 2000-6000 RPM and will 6200 RPM break my fans if I leave it on or anything? And what do you mean I should leave it alone?

One last question if say I notice its getting hot and put it too 4000 RPM and say it gets hotter will my mac automatically raise it past 4000 RPM

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I mean you should uninstall SMCfancontrol and let your Mac manage itself. It doesn't need SMCfancontrol to keep temps at a safe level. It was designed to work just fine without 3rd party apps.

8. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

SMCFanControl is designed to raise the minimum fan speed - it has no effect on the maximum speed. So if you set it to 4,000rpm, if the Mac sees the need, it will raise the speed on its own.

There are two good reasons to have the app installed - to see the temp/fan speed, and more importantly, to be able to raise the fan speed faster than the mac would, in order to not have it run so hot.

Polbit

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can see fan speed and temps, among other things, with iStat Pro. You don't need to manually raise fan speed, as the MBP will automatically do that as needed to keep temps in the normal operating range.

10. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I understand that some of us are "using it wrong" and putting a Mac laptop on a lap or in/on some other unapproved location/position, but for those moments, SMCfancontrol helps because you can set the fans at say 4,000rpm, and the temp won't climb to uncomfortable as fast, of ever (depending on what you are doing).

I love my MBP and wouldn't trade it for any other laptop right now, but it's not perfect, and heat control is definitely not ideal. I've seen worse, but I have definitely seen better. It's something to get used to with the current MBP, and SMCfancontrol helps.