Help! Smudge on rMBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by besler3035, Dec 21, 2014.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

I've had a smudge since I can remember on my rMBP screen. Today I tried to get rid of it, and, let's just say the result is even worse.

I used Goo Gone, hoping it would lift up what appeared to be something from the packaging that was sticky, on the screen. Now what I had is a very obvious smudge, more so than before, that looks light grey on a white background.

I've tried Monster's Screen Clean to no avail. Is there another option out there that will get rid of this?!?

2. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

Congrats, your screen coating has started to come off. That being said, there are number of threads here (one of them being mine) about that coating peeling off. It could be QC issue, but nevertheless it's not something Apple widely admits, takes the blame. So... prepare yourself to live with it, or make an appointment at a local Apple store and keep your fingers crossed - maybe you'll score a screen replacement on the house.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the screen has had a problem from the beginning, I would make a Genius appointment. Using Goo Gone on your screen was a terrible thing to use.

4. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was literally 32 days outside of my warranty. Needless to say, Apple is providing a "holiday miracle" and is taking care of it.

Phew...definitely learned my lesson on this one!