Help! Snow Leopard ate my baby video!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Schtibbie, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Hm. Using Canon Powershot SD1100is. Snow Leopard. Ilife 08 (didn't upgrade to 09 or 10 or whatever when I upgrade Snow Leopard). I *just* used the powershot to take AVI video of my newborn baby - literally today. I uploaded photos plus those AVI files into iphoto then had iphoto delete them from the camera.

BUT.. Not only does iphoto no longer play AVI videos but when I export them to the desktop they DO open in Quicktime 10 but there's only ONE frame! I've lost my video! Of my baby! HELP!!!!!!!

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

3. davegregory macrumors regular

It's in your iphoto library. Go to your pictures folder, right click on the "iPhoto Library" Right click on it and choose "Show Package Contents". Browse to the folder that says "Originals" and then browse to the date you took the video. The original video is in that folder. Copy it, and make a backup. Then open it with VLC or quicktime 7. (You need to have quicktime 7 installed from the snowleopard disk). If the video still doesn't play, then you may have a more serious problem.

Take this as a lesson. Never delete images from a card until you've made a backup of the files you've copied over and you've made sure they work.

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

So true - you must make a back ups before deleting stuff. I feel for you - baby photos and vids - often contain those priceless moments, but learn to err on the side of caution - just in case.

Hope you find it.

5. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh. thank. god. Yes, the AVI movies were in there and oddly enough they actually play in Quicktime *10* from there even though they didn't play when "exported" from iphoto. Didn't need to install QT 7 (I'm at hospital so can't from here anyway). Ok, much relieved. But WHY doesn't apple patch Snow Leopard so this whole "can't play movies from iphoto" thing is fixed? It was my wife who pointed this problem out to me and made a snarky comment about how I shouldn't have upgraded. :-/

Thanks folks!

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

There are times when that is what a good wife is for. SL is still early days - I doubt I'll upgrade for at least a year.

Don't forget to back up. Take care of that little one. Cheers