HELP - So should I buy the non-retina model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wiznet, Jun 16, 2012.

1. wiznet macrumors regular

After looking through threads talking about images and applications looking crappy.. I have started thinking about getting a non-retina macbook pro (with hi-res/ssd) instead.

I work in CS6 (Production Premium, use all programs), and the thought of my work looking like crap because of the programs (most of them) being non-retina scares me. Also, the fact that websites look like crap scares me.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? I'm just unsure what to think.

2. majed504 macrumors newbie

Id like a clarification too... Im considering canceling my order after all what I read...

3. Greg M macrumors 6502

The retina screen isn't going to add anything useful when working with CS6. However, being able to take out the disk drive and add a second hard drive will make CS6 perform much better.

Get the low end 15 inch MacBook Pro with the antiglare screen, upgrade the ram yourself to 16gb, install your own 128gb SSD for your programs/OSX, and replace the DVD drive with a 512gb SSD and compare it to a loaded retina MBP.

Your upgraded MBP (about $600 in upgrades) will outperform the retina in CS6 and be less expensive.

4. strausd macrumors 68030

I suggest trying one out before you make the final decision. You really can't make an informed decision until you test it yourself.

I was lucky enough to find out that my local Apple store had a few display models (no stock). I tried it out and loved it. I then tried it out on 1920X1200 resolution, same resolution as my 24" monitor. And I could not see any pixelation at all. Then I tried 1680X1050, the resolution for older models when you pay extra, and it still looked amazing, definitely better than an older MBP at the default resolution.

5. wiznet, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

wiznet thread starter macrumors regular

No kidding! It was almost a mistake on Apple's part in a sense. I'm heavily considering cancelling mine, as well. At this point, I probably will - if we do, at least we'll have them sooner.. ;)

@GregM thanks very much for your input, that sounds like a better option at this point...

@strausd thanks for your input. I'll definitely be heading to try one out.

6. majed504 macrumors newbie

Will this be the same also for FCP and gaming?

7. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

I think we should convince this a lot of people to purchase the non-retina MacBook Pro.

It will cause the stock scarcity to go end faster.

8. Greg M macrumors 6502

Dual drives help the performance of production premium quite a bit. I'm not sure about FCP. I imagine that if you want gaming performance then you'd want the 1gb video card which puts you at a higher MBP. Then if you can get by with 256gb SSD get the retina if you want but don't a lot of games require a disk?

9. wiznet thread starter macrumors regular

So, has anybody tried programs like Premiere Pro or After Effects (CS6) on the Retina? Does it look like ****? :s

10. parish macrumors 65816

parish

My take on retina vs. non-retina comes down to the question of how long before you will next be replacing your MBP.

I've ordered a retina one. I accept that initially some apps and websites won't look as good on this than a non-retina for now, but I'm planning on getting at least 4-5 years life out of it and I reckon that if I'd chosen non-retina that I'd be regretting it in 2-3 years time when retina-class displays are the norm - it won't be long before they appear on PCs (Win 8 supports HiDPI) and with improvements in technology and yields, coupled with economies of scale kicking in, I wouldn't be surprised to see retina-class displays on bottom of the range Dells in 2-3 years time - at least as an option.

Of course, if you plan to upgrade again in 1-2 years you may well be better going non-retina now, and retina next time around.

11. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Check out the review here.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/13/3082649/macbook-pro-review-retina-display-15-inch

Summary:

BAD STUFF
    Screen still prone to glare
    Apps and website not yet optimized for Retina display
    Chassis gets notably hot in processor-intensive situations

GOOD STUFF:
    Best display ever for a laptop
    Much thinner and lighter than previous Pros
    Powerful new Ivy Bridge chipset
    USB 3.0 and HDMI out!

I think the bad out weighs the good. I'd rather have anti-glare. The heat is also a concern. I don't know if the non-retina laptop I bought will have this issue or not though.

----------

Reports say it's blurry for now until Adobe can fix it.

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes CS6 looks like four stars.

13. iFanboy Guest

I had similar concerns, but decided to press ahead and NOT cancel my order.

The simple fact is that Apple is ahead of the curve by a few months to a year. Website IMAGES are not yet ready for retina (text is of course fine), and apps aren't yet ready for retina so look jaggy and a bit pixelated.

These annoyances will evaporate by 12 months max, same as iPad3.

Your thoughts should be, should you buy the highest end laptop like MacBook Pro Retina which MAY provide some annoyances for a maximum of 12 months, or should you buy a legacy version now where the reason for the purchase disappears after 12 months and you get penis envy with all the people rocking their far better retina displays?

PLUS you can scale down the resolution in the new MBPR's so that it's not an issue.

No way am I buying a legacy now just because Apple are a few months ahead of the curve. Hopefully this laptop will do me for 4 YEARS. With retina displays becoming the norm during that period having a legacy device past 12 months is going to SUCK.

14. Philly macrumors member

Amen Brother..!

15. Philly macrumors member

...really? Why? Anti glare (matte) screens are great. I don't know what the issue is. I don't see pixels when I look at my screen.

16. NoMoreSony macrumors member

Total OS X share in web traffic is only about 8% and most of traffic generated by non Retina devices. iOs share is also about 8%, but web sites on the New iPad looks not so crappy due smaller 10,1" Retina screen. Keeping those details in mind i'm deeply in doubts that all of web designers have highest priority in supporting Retina on the web. It could take quite a few years or even more, before just 25% or so web sites will implement some real changes.

17. wiznet thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it looks like for my type of work non-retina will work much better at this point-in-time. Later, I may sell, and upgrade to retina once Haswell is released/CS6 (or 7, whatever's out...) supports Retina.

One last thing... Does antiglare reduce screen/color quality a lot... is it really worth sacrificing all the beautiful colors for antiglare? I have a personal studio where I can have no lights on/100% black...

18. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

there is hardly any glare on the new mbp

The anti glare 13" next to it looked crap. colour was poor and lacked detail

Anti glare retina would be pointless. you would lose most of the benefit in the cheap looking plastic filter

19. Philly macrumors member

There's no such thing as an anti-glare retina display. You only get the option of anti-glare with the standard Macbook Pro. It's a higher resolution of 1680 x 1050. If your working in studio conditions then you don't necessarily need anti-glare, but thats something you need to go to the store and look at for yourself.

20. MacBird macrumors 6502

I canceled my order after looking at the retina MBPs at a local Apple store, and I was really looking forward to upgrading my 2008 unibody MBP. Blacks and contrast look great and optimized fonts are very crisp. The screen is less glossy, too.

The deal breaker for me is that all images look a bit blurry due to upscaling. We discussed the retina display in a photography forum and agreed that it might be useful for videographers but not really for anybody else. I don't feel like spending $2800 and then look at blurry images for a couple of years and no photographer is going to post images online at a high resolution since people who steal them could actually use those.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Apple is going to release a MBP with the new chassis and a display running at native resolution, everything else seems useless if accuracy is important in your field.

21. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

you misunderstood what i said entirely.

22. Philly macrumors member

My apologies. Posting late at night....

23. HarryKNN21, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

HarryKNN21 macrumors regular

Retina display certainly is the future of all MacBooks' display, but I still am not going to get the rMBP now and instead I will still get a legacy model and wait for time to examine the current rMBP. I would buy a Retina MBP when Retina displays are available throughout the MacBook line.

Also I really doubt people will keep their rMBP for 5 years. I am not saying the machine is brittle or badly made, but more importantly in these few years of time 1600 MHz or faster RAM will come out and price will drop, SSD storage are getting larger, faster and cheaper as well. Are you able to upgrade memory in your rMBP? What can rMBP users do when 32GB memory come out and finally realize the CPU can handle that? Not to mention getting a third party large storage Flash Drive for rMBP will be much more difficult than getting a larger and faster SSD.

If Apple still carry on developing Thunderbolt displays, people using legacy models can go ahead and get that display for half the price of a new machine and they can carry on upgrading drives and memory for extra capacity to handle external display. Will you get a TBD for your rMBP?? Also we need to remember that a new iMac haven't been announced, there would be a higher resolution Retina display which we couldn't tell now.