[help] so , Sony Vaio SB is BETTER than mbp??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xishuashua, Jun 29, 2011.

1. xishuashua macrumors newbie

ok, the title is just to attract attention.

so, i'm new to mac, i have been using a pc for 10 years, and I'm a second year college student.

I just got my mbp 2011 smallest size i7 model today, and I was very comfortable at using it. But before I purchased this mbp two weeks ago, I had also visited Sony Vaio's website. The Sony Vaio Sb model particularly attraction my attention.

ok, both mbp and sb series have similar specifications:
    i assume all of u are pretty familiar with the mbp, so i will only post the vaio's here.

Intel® Core™ i7-2620M processor (2.70GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.40GHz
    Microsoft Windows® 7 Home Premium
    Bolt Black
    4GB (4GB Fixed Onboard + 1 Open SDRAM Slot) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
    500GB (5400rpm) hard drive
    CD/DVD Player / Burner
    AMD Radeon™ 6470M (512MB VRAM) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
    13.3" VAIO Display with LED backlight (1366 x 768)
    Standard Capacity Battery

as u can tell , these two computers are very similar, except that one is os, the other is windows.

so, here is the problem, Sony Vaio only cost 1170(include tax), since they are doing a promotion today which takes away 200 CAD (please treat CAD as USD since they are almost the same in values).

but on the other hand, the smaller size and i7 model of MBP which I got today costs 1670 CAD (include tax).

and I am like... wow,, 500 dollars for a os system? is that really worth it? guys, please give me some suggestions.

I'm writing this with my mbp, and I absolutely have no problem with it.

But then, 500 dollars is big deal...
    with that extra 500 bucks, u could really do other amazing things.. like.......

And I also want to point out that, money is not particularly a problem (1670 for mbp is something I could afford), but then, I just feel like I am not buying things that worth this much because sony vaio, which has similar specifications, only costs 2/3 of its price.

However, if i don't know about the promotion and the sony vaio model, I would very like to use Mac book pro.

And yes, it's a great macbook and I love the os system..

but then, I am also comfortable in using a pc.........

so... what should I choose???

any suggestions????

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

the only nice part of that sony is the processor. everything else seems pretty gross for a windows pc at that price.

4. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I used to buy nothing but Sony high ends laptop until 2009 I purchase my first MBP! Sony load so many junk software in their system which slow the whole unit down! Keep the MBP you will be more than happy!

5. xishuashua thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i agree, but as for the price... u see??!!! 500 dollars gap!! w d f?

I love to use apple, and i love my macbook pro, but then, the price prevents me from loving it.

6. simsaladimbamba

Then sell it.
    I spent 2300 € on a 17" MBP in 2009 and I don't look back. Even if cheaper (in all regards, just not the price) notebooks with the same specs (CPU and GPU) could be had for half of that.

7. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

Long time Windows user. Just had a Sony Vaio F series. Core i7, 6GB memory, 640GB hard drive, nVidia Geforce 450M (I think). 16.4" screen

Slow as molasses. Screen was very dull. Had a ton of Sony garbage that I had to get rid of before it had any kind of decent boot up time. Keyboard was nice. weight was Ok for size.

Sold it just last week and bought MacBook Pro 15" today (on-line order). I'm typing this on my iPad waiting for my Mac.

I really debated getting a new Windows PC but tired of constantly watching out for viruses, Trojans and just stuff Mac PCs don't normally worry about.

I like the idea of one place helping me with my software and hardware problems and they usually know what they are talking about. Buy a Windows PC at Best Buy and then go back and ask them a hardware or software question!

Just my opinions. Everybody has one.

8. xishuashua thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I would like to tell u that macbook pro is wayyyyyyyy faster than vaio..
    so, you recommend macbookpro?

would you like to use mbp for few days, and then comeback to share your experience with us?

I still have 14 days to return it... so I 'm still deciding things...

9. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

I couldn't just yet recommend a MacBook Pro since mine hasn't arrived yet. Should be here next week. Once I get to using it I'll be writing about it quite a bit i'm sure.

10. CFoss macrumors 6502

You have to remember, you get what you pay for. MacBook Pros are not just lookers, but extremely functional machines. The MagSafe Charger, the OS, the battery life, the light weight... they all add up.

Sure, you can get a laptop with an AMD 6970, but with the heat, lack of battery life, and weight that comes on keeping the system working... is it worth it?

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I went with a Dell Vostro this time around because I could get for less than $1000, the cost of a $2000 Macbook Pro. There's no denying that Apple's overpriced. Their lack of USB 3.0 and Blu-ray just makes it even more rediculous, but people buy a mac for reason (os) X, Y, or Z that they can't get anywhere else. It's personal preference, but I say there's nothing wrong with a PC.

12. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I've had several VAIOs. They tend to be lightly constructed, overstyled, underpowered, and horribly poorly supported. Sony also has a longstanding habit of festooning their machines with proprietary interfaces. Memory Stick, anyone? Now they're doing it again with their Sony-only connector for Thunderbolt. They tend to do these things not for performance but to lock people into their ecosystem. I've had more incompatibilities with VAIOs than other Windows machines, too. Driver issues and stuff like that.

I went from VAIOs to ThinkPads, and found those machines to be more solid, though their quality slipped in the last unit I purchased. It's still running, barely, but has had a lot of repairs, and it's had issues with cracks in the plastic body. That never used to happen with ThinkPads.

Then to the MacBook Pro... and folks, there's no comparison. I'm on my second, and they're just bulletproof.

I still use Windows daily-- XP and Win7-- and software is another huge point of difference. Windows crashes, Windows misbehaves. OS X just never does.

Everything about the machine is more solid.

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Number wise, the Vaio is better. If you want better user experience, though, spend an extra $30 for the Snow Leopard DVD and hackintosh that laptop :cool:

14. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

there is no doubt that the vaio would be very capable and is a good machine. it would probably be one of the laptops i recommend after the mbp. however you do get what you pay for. no bloatware, magsafe, hd webcam, the trackpad, thunderbolt. its does all add up like someone said above. OS X in itself i would say is a great OS and a lot more stable than windows. OS X is a lot more simple than windows but is also very powerful. the mac also retains a lot more retail value than the pc. my mac cost 1800 after discounts and its valued at around 1200 now. its going onto its third year soon.

if i were you maybe go play with the vaio in a store for a little and then compare. but i can assure you, you will not be disappointed with your purchase.

15. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Again make a HackBook Pro. HBP.

16. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Don't go cheap on a windows laptop, you'll literally hate everything about it after a while (I'm in that cycle right now) soon I'm going to get a MBP and recreate the printer scene from Office Space using my Acer POS

17. tombubi macrumors regular

For the additional 500 dollars, you are paying for the built quality and the OS.

I am still using Windows now, but I really hate it and will switch to Mac soon when I save enough money.

18. madisonm macrumors newbie

The best advice I can give you is, DON'T GO SONY!!!!

I got a 2006 Macbook which I used up until 2010, still works but the 50 GB hard drive is just too hard to work with. In 2010 I bought a Sony Vaio. Everything was fine until my hard drive crashed 5 months later and I lost everything right before exams. I can understand hard drives can fail, but what I didn't understand was Sony refused to send me a hard drive to change out myself to repair it, PLUS they made me pay for my own shipping to California because I was in Canada. Beyond that, they refused to ship it back to Canada so I had to have it sent somewhere in the US, and then have it forwarded to me.

To make everything even worse, Sony claimed I had a ding on a side of my laptop so that voided my warranty (on the complete opposite side of the hard drive, and was honestly nothing more than VERY small cosmetic damage). I had to shell out $400 for a new hard drive, new software re-load, and they required that I had to have my case fixed. Plus my entire phone process was in excess of 4 hours, and my entire time without a laptop was nearly a month.

I just bought a new macbook pro because Sony has the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. Go for any other PC company if you're seeking a PC.

19. pazz macrumors regular

I to made the made the same product comparison.

The MBP is substantially better built. I encourage you, before making a decision to buy either, to visit a Sony centre and see the SB up close. The screen hinge is poor, ports are badly engineered such that cables (inc USB) protrude and the trackpad buttons are loose and wobble (with little feedback).

20. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

In another thread I was reading a Canadian complaining that Apple doesn't do mail-in repair in Canada, you have to take it to a repair center.

21. madisonm macrumors newbie

Yah thats exactly what I want....who wants to ship it to San Diego, CA? Thats what Sony made me do, I couldn't just take it to a repair center .