Help....Software Update Not Working!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by todd2000, Sep 27, 2007.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I have 3 things listed in my Software Update

Pro Application Support 4.0.2
    Compatibility Update for Quicktime 1.0
    iTunes 7.4.2

And whenever I try to update anything it says:

"The Update can't be installed Software Update could not expand the package correctly"

What gives? Any ideas?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest manually downloading the packages using Software Update or if that doesn't work try Apple.com.

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Manually downloading with SU didn't work, and I realize I could DL them from their site, but that doesn't fix Software Update.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've found that Software Update just won't work with some updates. If this continues beyond this instances then it might be a problem.

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yup, I had same problem. Reason was that I had taken the applications out of their original iWork '08 folder and simply put each application into the Applications folder.

You need to restore the iWork '08 folder into Applications, then drag Pages, Keynote, and Numbers into the iWork '08 folder. Even if you deleted the original folder, just make a new one with the same name, and it'll work fine once you drag the apps back into the folder.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wouldn't move Apple applications from their default install locations as suggested above.

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Where did you get iWork 08 from? I don't even have iWork installed, nor am I trying to update it. Just trying to update

Pro Application Support 4.0.2
    Compatibility Update for Quicktime 1.0
    iTunes 7.4.2

None of which I have moved from their default locations. Anyway I grabbed them from Apple.com, and we shal see what happens with the next software update.

It is kind of strange that I couldn't even do a "Download Only" from Software Update, it still said "Software Update could not expand the package correctly" I wasn't asking it to expand anything, just download it.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I'm actually suggesting the exact opposite, to LEAVE them where they are installed. I said I originally moved them from their default folder, and that's why it wouldn't update. That's why I said you need to move them BACK to their default folder, not the other way around.

9. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

And as I said I DO NOT have iWork installed, that has nothing to do with my original problem.

10. toddco13 macrumors newbie

Thanks for that tip! I had moved all my apps to new folders, and no Software Update! Once I moved all my Apple apps back to the Application folder, SU detected them.

Good job!

~TC

11. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Glad I could help someone out! ;)