help solve my OS X install problem in disk utility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mythicmuse, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mythicmuse macrumors newbie

I replaced the HD in my '98 macbook penryn model, then I accidentally loaded a Leopard upgrade DVD instead of the grey install disk to re-install my OS. I followed the instructions for formatting the drive in disk utility with the wrong disk, then when I tried to install realized my mistake.

Now I am using the right disk but the computer doesn't recognize the HD as a location to instal, and I can't access the partitions tab in disk utility to check formatting/re-format. I get the message "disk utility has lost connection with disk management tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch. The partition scheme is now listed as "master boot record"

I have tried restarting holding down 'alt' and also 'c' with no results.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You probably used the wrong partition scheme (Master Boot Record - MBR), it needs to be GUID. Can you use the Upgrade DVD (for what exact OS X version) to partition with the right partition map scheme?
    Btw, a 2008 MB came with Leopard, thus no Upgrade DVD should be needed, unless you meant the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, which is a full RETAIL version of Mac OS X and doesn't need a prior installation of Mac OS X, thus you could just use the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD to install Mac OS X.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

3. mythicmuse thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I set the partition scheme to GUID and this is what is displayed when I have the Leopard upgrade disk in, and then when I switch the disk to the install disk it reads as Master Boot... And sorry, I think my Mac is 2007 because it definitely has the Leopard as an cpu drop-in dvd.