Help solve sync problem with Outlook 2011 and AOL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Big D 51, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I know most think I am a loser for still using an AOL account but I have had it over 15 years. Everyone has it so I hate to loose it.

My question is regarding using outlook 2011 for my AOL account.

For some odd reason, the two are not in sync. For an example, if I read an e-mail on my iphone then go open up outlook, outlook will show that mail message as not being read. This becomes an hassle if I don't open out look in quite some time and have to go through to make sure I have read the e-mail.

It is vice versa as well. If I read the e-mail on outlook, it will show unread on the iphone. The same goes with deleting an e-mail. If I delete it on my iphone out of the inbox, it will still be in inbox on outlook. Is there a way to make the two sync better?

I hope this makes sense.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :apple:

2. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Bump. Maybe I posted this in the wrong category.

? :apple:

3. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I am confused of why I'm not getting any response. Surely with all the gurus on here somebody can point me in the right direction.

This isnt paid for software so can't get use outlook support.

I apologize for replying to my own topic, but I really need to
    figure this out. I hope you all understand.

:apple:

4. MacRacer macrumors regular

I use AOL

Don't worry about using AOL, I use it too. :D But to setup AOL in Outlook 2011, you have to open Outlook, go to Outlook > Preferences > Accounts. Once you are there, you will see the Add an Account and you will Exchange Account or e-mail account. Select E-mail Account. Then the Account information page will open, enter your e-mail address & password. BEOFRE HITTING THE ADD ACCOUNT BUTTON, uncheck Configure Automatically. Then you will see "User name, Type, Incoming server, and so forth. enter your user name as your user name with out "@aol.com." The Type will be IMAP. Next is the "Incoming server" so you will type or copy and paste imap.aol.com and let it use the defualt port of 993 when you check the Use SSL to connect. Next is the Outgoing server type smtp.aol.com. Check the Override default port and enter 587. Then you can finish by hitting add account. I added a photo so you can see how mine is setup.

I just installed the 2011 office pack so I had to learn it too. it the same as the outlook in 2007 for windows setup. Plus, many Apple user will use the Mail app to get there e-mail. Not many people like Outlook. It doesn't bother me though. I have issues with Mail so I use Outlook. AND you where in the right catagory I believe.

Attached Files:

5. MacRacer macrumors regular

Funny thing is I using google when I can across this post. HEHE. :D:apple:

6. Big D 51 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I have to admit that I had my doubts that it was going to work properly, but....it DID :eek:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. I had given up hope because I wasn't getting any replies.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

:apple: