HELP! Something shifting in my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcheng4, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mcheng4 macrumors member

Hi I just bought the new Aluminum Macbook ($1599 version) and I find when I turn my macbook around with the lid closed that something inside is "slightly" shifting. It will do it everytime I turn it in that direction. Should I worry? Apple says to bring it to the Genius Bar which I will but I wanted your opinions on what it could be or if it is a big deal or not.

Because if it is, I am just going to ask them to completely replace my MacBook with a new one. I do not want repercussions of any other hardware because of the shifting parts.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you wont get a new laptop

the apple store will fix whatever you have but you arent entitled to a replacement laptop due to any "issues" without them trying to fix it sad to say

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Maybe it's something loose inside?

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

In mine there's something that SOUNDS loose in the Super Drive.. It still works fine, so no worries here..

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Apple will replace machines with valid problems that arise until 14 days after purchase, when it will be repaired instead.

6. mcheng4 thread starter macrumors member

MysticMage - How do you know this for sure? Is this listed somewhere (I received it only 1.5 weeks ago)? Also, what qualifies as a "valid problem". Basically, if they have to open this thing up...I want a new one.

7. mcheng4 thread starter macrumors member

How can you tell that its the Super Drive that is loose? Mine feels like the good size piece or entire thing is shifting together. It is very minimal but apparent...I mean Apple told me to go in.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

You never know!
    They wanted to give me a new computer when i went to get my battery replaced! When i went, they didnt have the new batteries yet and i told him that i had driven super far. The genius comes out from the back and wanted to give me a new MacBook. I told him there is NO WAY I would take it. (mine is perfect, no defects, nothing. I didnt wanna risk getting a bad one when i know mine was good)
    Right when i was walking out of the store he came running out to get me and he said the batteries just arrived! So i did leave with a new battery but i was so amazed at the fact they were willing to give me a whole new computer over a battery!

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

The way I can tell on mine is that the noise is coming from the drive when i jiggle the laptop around... Do let us know what they tell you at the Apple store. I'm curious...

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

They probably will replace it.

They did this for me, I had some issues and they right off the bat said they were just going to replace mine and I even upgraded from the 2.0 to the 2.4.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

My lid was misaligned on my first MacBook and I got a replacement on that. Anything that would require a repair is a valid problem.

My girlfriend is a Apple Genius (one of the people that work in the Genius Bars) told me about it, and in my 6 months from being on the forums, it always happens. Just go in, tell them there is a problem, it is 1.5 weeks old and you'd like a replacement.

12. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

If you're still within the 14 days they will replace your macbook:) even if you're not you can probably get them to with a little debate

13. janat macrumors newbie

lol!!!

When you shake your laptop around and you hear sound that iether means that there is a CD... lol... in your superdrive or that HD is being locked. Macbook has a sensor that will lock HD in place when it's being moved, for the chance of it falling. I wouldn't say it's that loud, but was a nice show off.