Help Son Dropped Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zas, Oct 15, 2013.

1. zas macrumors member

All,

I had my macbook pro on a tray since sometimes I work from home. I got up to go grab a glass of water and my son hit the tray with his toy vacuum.... :eek: My laptop fell on it's side, it had a flashdrive on there so the flashdrive got stuck. I had to pull it out using pliers... The laptop now gets extremely hot and I get the following message:

usb-device-drawing-too-much.jpg

Any tips? How much would it be to fix it? Is it worth it? I recently got a MBA but I still want to fix this one.. HELP :confused:

2. Livewings macrumors regular

You probably have to change your mobo and it will get really expensive. :eek::(

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I don't think any home remedy is really going to help you at this point--you really need to make a trip to the Apple Store.

4. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

5. davys, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

davys macrumors regular

6. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Does the USB port look damaged? Check that none of the contacts in the connector are shorted. If they are bent, you can try to straighten them with pliers. If there is no obvious damage, then there there aren't many options left.

Unfortunatly the connector is soldered on the logic board. Apple or certified partners do not repair the boards, they replace them with new ones. The new boards, like others have said, are expensive, several hundreds of dollars.

If the laptop is already fairly old and you don't want to put a lot of money into repairing it, then you could search for a repair shop that could solder a new port on to the logic board. Look for places that repair other electronics, and give them a call. The new connector is not expensive, couple of dollars. What does cost a bit though is the amount of work it takes to get it replaced. But it's quite certainly going to cost very little compared to a wholly new logic board.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Get Apple to quote for a repair then claim on home insurance?

8. raptor402 macrumors 6502

There might be a short in the USB port, though that does seem unlikely. You could try opening it up to check for physical damage on the Logic Board. That'll give you a quick idea of repair costs. Also, see if you can disable the damaged USB port. It might be a temporary fix.

Regards
    Raptor

UPDATE: Before anything, try an SMC reset.

9. zas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I did the SMC reset but nothing..... Oh well I will call a few places and see what they say. :(

10. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Did any portion of the USB remain in the computer?

11. zas thread starter macrumors member

No, I removed it all.

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

The port can be replaced , it requires soldering 6 points and that is assuming there is no trace damage(multi layer trace damage is almost always unrepairable).

it could also be located on a sub board (15" 06-08 models) which would cost about 40-50$ to replace.

also , you could clean the solder points and leave the port absent and at least stop those usb errors from coming up.

which model was it ?

13. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

You've got a short circuit in your USB port now. Probably a fire hazard too. Might want to take it in....