help!!! Space bar not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Belle-vue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Belle-vue macrumors member

Belle-vue

i
    have
    no
    space
    it
    does
    not
    work
    on
    my
    MacBook Pro
    out
    of
    no
    where!!

plus
    it
    type
    my
    login
    password
    by
    itself
    and
    its
    wrong

what
    can
    i
    do
    :eek:

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Sounds like a hardware problem, your best option is to go at an Apple Store and get it repaired.

If you can't spend any money on a repair and want a temporary workaround, you could download a keyboard utility like Karabiner to map another key to make spaces. For example, you could use your right Cmd key to make spaces.

3. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

What year macbook?

Apples official fix for keyboard repair is a new top casing and it's pricey.

If you're ambitious and not intimidated by technology, iFixit.com has some great guides on disassembly and aftermarket keyboards are cheap enough on Amazon.

I replaced mine, feels OEM - works great, was a project to replace but not bad. It consists of stripping your mac down to the top case and removing the glued on cover/backlight and continuing on to remove 50 little screws (a good screw driver kit is a must).

Gives you a good sense of accomplishment though when you turn it on and it works :)

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Kool!
    If your "space" is not working - how did you get a space between MacBook and Pro ?
    You can try popping off the spacebar top, and check for an obstruction underneath that space bar.

5. dyt1983, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Autocorrect

typing macbookpro automatically corrects to MacBook Pro