help: speed up razr v3m?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FredAkbar, Dec 27, 2007.

1. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

(copied and pasted, I already posted this on another forum)

I have a Razr v3m (Verizon) and it's often sluggish, i.e. sometimes it takes a second or two to perform a UI action, just opening messages, or if I hit the camera button by mistake, it takes a couple seconds for the cancel button to take effect, etc.

So my question is: is there any way to speed this up? Any way at all (short of using a different phone)? I'm willing to add RAM, hack it, whatever. I'm not all that cell phone-savvy so I'm sorry if those are stupid suggestions. I just like the Razr's design but don't understand why it's so slow. My friend has a much cheaper, seemingly crappier, Verizon phone and the UI is perfectly snappy.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Remember to regularity delete your text messages (both sent and received). This model doesn't limit the number of text messages you can store so many folks will have 100s or 1,000s of messages stored on their phone, drastically reducing its speed.

You can also take it to any Verizon store where they will update/restore the software for free.

3. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

EricNau--

That's very good to know! Thanks for posting it--very helpful.

4. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

a sluggish memory

Ooh, I didn't know that either. Is there any way to back up my messages (without forwarding them all to my email, which would take an insane amount of time and money!)? I'm not sure I want to lose them. I have about 300-400 sent and received (each) txt messages, maybe that's slowing it down a bit eh?

I checked my available storage and I'm using 33 MB out of 41 MB. I'm not surprised it's getting a bit sluggish.

edit: I guess for now I can delete the dozens of trivial ones like "dinner at 6?," etc.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, there's no way to backup your text messages (except emailing, like you mentioned). However, you can lock the individual messages you wish to keep and then delete the rest. (And yes, having 800 txt messages on your phone will slow it down).

That's a lot of space used ...do you have games/apps installed as well?

6. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Thanks for the lock suggestion, I didn't even know about that feature. That'll probably be faster than deleting most of them by hand...

edit: no, I haven't installed anything or altered the phone in any way really, just sent/received plenty of txts, and taken 10 or 20 pics.

7. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

On my razr with zero text messages, the interface is still horribly sluggish. Haven't encountered a razr phone that wasn't slow.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have a moto RAZR V3m as well, and I haven't noticed any slowness (response time < 1 sec.).

9. FredAkbar thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

It seems a little faster (I removed some of the pix and flix too) but still has a bit of lag. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Now, anyone know of hardware-related ways to speed this thing up?

edit:

I went to a Verizon store and had them update the software on it. The interface seems a lot snappier now, though there are some things I dislike about the new software.