Help.. spilled coffee on MBP15 yesterday :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by george81, Nov 17, 2012.

1. george81 macrumors newbie

Hi, thought it'd never happen to me, but alas, here we are.
    my nephew spilled half a cup of starbucks coffee on the right half of my 2011 Macbook pro 15 HR/AG

The coffee went to the keys and the right speaker

I turned it upside down and cleaned up as much of the coffee as i could, with several napkins

then i cleaned up the screen as coffee had gone there too (at the lower part and the hinge)

i took out 4-5 of the keys and cleaned up underneath.

today I tried to boot, I can boot into the login screen but some of the keys weren't working (the ones on the right half of the keyboard)

i was able to boot in the o/s with a USB keyboard.

is there a part i can order from apple to replace the entire keyboard? or am I completely out of luck? usually how much does apple charge to replace the keyboard?

thank you!
    George

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Here is a keyboard for $26.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15-4-Ma...10?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item1c29027b6a

And here is a guide for removing the upper case on iFixit, which should give you access to the keyboard. Not sure what Apple charges, but it probably will not be cheap and you may want to give it a go yourself depending on what kind of experience you have. Apple replaces keyboards by replacing the entire top case assembly, not the keyboard alone.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Upper+Case/5907/5

3. george81 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for the quick reply. will try to do it myself.

if i get it to apple to replace the entire top cover (for piece of mind) I think i will pay around $600

do you believe the coffee might have made irreversible damage even if i get the entire cover and keyboard replaced?

4. 725032 Guest

5. george81 thread starter macrumors newbie

well it works fine so far.. so i'll just get the new keyboard and try to replace it. my experience is only replacing the HDD and memory, so it will be a cool challenge :)

zackkmac, thanks so much for the ebay link. awesome.

now i just need to see if I can find the keyboard-switching part of the instructions as fixya guide stops at the point where you separate the screen from the case..

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

That is no way to treat your Starbucks...

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You'd be best to pull the bottom cover off and see if coffee got inside.

8. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

No problem, here is a video for what you do once you get the the case and screen separated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYwr3EJNbjM&feature=related

If you do it yourself, it probably would help to check out other parts as you remove/access them and clean them off (with proper materials).

9. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I'm reading so many of these "I spilled water/coffee/etc. on my MBP" and also at work people asking me "what should I do I spilled a cocktail on my MPB"
    is that so hard to keep liquids away from our computers? :rolleyes: