Help, Spilled water on my Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Matrix86, May 24, 2009.

1. Matrix86 macrumors member

The other day, I spilled a whole cup of water on my macbook :mad: It immediately shut it self off and I picked it up and removed the battery and ram and dried the excess water then let it sit over night in an air conditioned room. The next day I put everything back in and turned it on and shockingly it booted up with no problem and everything seemed fine. Then I shut the lid and it would just turn it self on and off while closed. So I opened it and shut it down. Let it sit a few more hours and tried turing it back on it gets past the apple logo but stalls on the blue screen. Any idea what is wrong, and how much is this going to cost me??

P.S. I searched and couldn't find much on macbooks stalling on the blue screen after water being spilled....

Thanks for the help.

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It'll probably cost $1,000 or more from Apple depending on what actually went wrong. I'm assuming the logic board.

3. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

It actually doesn't depend at all on what actually went wrong. Liquid damage is always a Tier 4 repair meaning they will fix anything and everything that's wrong with it for a flat fee. For the MacBook I think it's around $900.

Also, instead of waiting a few hours and then turning it on, wait a week or so. It takes much longer than you would think to dry out. If it's water, and the computer is off, it has a chance of drying up and leaving no major problems. Each time you turn on your computer you risk frying a component in there.

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Interesting. I saw a bunch of people say that Apple specified that it was $900 but I never knew it was a flat fee. Thank you for informing me. :eek:

5. Matrix86 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, a new one is around $1k.......

Do you guys think it's odd that it turned on for a short period of time and now just that light blue screen right before the log in screen appears - then nothing?

Thanks for the quick replies so far!

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

The liquid could have zapped something in that time while the computer was on, but I would still just wait for a few more days before you try again just to be safe. Good luck!

7. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

odd... but the water prob just moved around? :S hope it gets fixed and minimum costs!

8. Matrix86 thread starter macrumors member

Well - I guess I'll just let it sit for a few days and see... :(

Thanks, guys.

9. Germwise macrumors regular

why not open it up and let each part dry out?

you should leave it hanging backwards (keyboard down) for about a week, somewhere very dry.

good luck

10. Matrix86 thread starter macrumors member

I thought about that but didn't want to damage it any further by taking it apart....

11. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

TIPS:

I've seen many people do these:

- Wrap in towels and put it in the cupboard where the boiler is.

- Have two bags, seal the macbook in one. in the other put rice in it and then put the mac in there. the rice will absorb some moisture.

- Leave for a good week or so if u dont want to do the ones mentioned above

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...every time I purchase something that comes with those little silicon bead packets, I save a few just for cases like this... touch wood, I've not had to use any yet...

13. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

I had a friend just do this to a MacBook Pro. I think an Apple store gave her a figure of about $400. That might have been to diagnose the problem or something. I think it was said it could end up being a lot more than the $400.

14. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

On a MacBook Pro, the Tier 4 repair price (for all liquid damaged computers) is $1250. Your friend was very lucky to get the $400 quote. :)

15. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

I remember that episode on McGyver.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The general rule is:

If you expose an electronic device to liquid DO NOT TURN IT ON FOR A WEEK or more and let it dry in a dry place.

My mom's old Samsung cell phone got once under a sea wave and didn't turn on after even 2 weeks of drying. Surprisingly, after half a year we accidently found it in the closet and tried to turn it on to see if it worked and guess what... it worked :D

Moral of the story - let them dry for as long as possible... and don't put them near the sea -_-

17. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

If the macbook is sealed in its own bag, how does the rice absorb any moisture? Or have I missed something?

18. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

:D

19. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

20. Matrix86 thread starter macrumors member

the new mac books are looking pretty nice........

Its too bad I can't afford one right now :(

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Leaving the machine disconnected for a day ain't gonna make all the water evaporate. Even if it's in a air conditioned room with outside temps exceeding 35°C! Simply because the liquid has seeped into confined spaces. Personally I'd leave off for a minimum of a a week, just to be safe.

22. Matrix86 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I think I messed it more by turing it on too soon. :eek: