Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Last night I spilt bottled water on my MacBook Air it wasn't loads but it defiantly wasn't a little. I've only had it since Christmas i didn't know what to do and my dad will murder me if I tell him and it doesn't work!! I've tried loads of things. As soon as it happened I jumped up grabbed the laptop and it had already turned it self off dried it with a towel and it then it turned on accidently. I turned it back off and used a hair dyer for a minute or two whilst looking on the Internet for what to do I then got a towel and had it tipped over all night whilst I was a sleep. I have used a dehumidifier for half and hour whilst i was at my nans and have now brought it home and put it into rice as well as using a fan before that. I have done all this within 24 hours! Is there anything else i should do I REALLY REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!! im already paying out for my iPhone screen to be repaired :'( Please help

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
It sounds like you've done everything I've seen recommended on this site, though perhaps one of the more experienced posters might have another suggestion or two.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm hopeful it will turn out ok.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Last night I spilt bottled water on my MacBook Air it wasn't loads but it defiantly wasn't a little. I've only had it since Christmas i didn't know what to do and my dad will murder me if I tell him and it doesn't work!! I've tried loads of things. As soon as it happened I jumped up grabbed the laptop and it had already turned it self off dried it with a towel and it then it turned on accidently. I turned it back off and used a hair dyer for a minute or two whilst looking on the Internet for what to do I then got a towel and had it tipped over all night whilst I was a sleep. I have used a dehumidifier for half and hour whilst i was at my nans and have now brought it home and put it into rice as well as using a fan before that. I have done all this within 24 hours! Is there anything else i should do I REALLY REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!! im already paying out for my iPhone screen to be repaired :'( Please help

Make sure it's completely turned off, i.e., hold the power button down for 10 seconds even if it seems to already be off.

Don't have it connected to the charger or anything else while drying.

Definitely don't play with it, e.g., try to turn it on or anything while it's drying.

Wait a couple days for it to dry.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
You should also unplug the battery from the logic board by taking off the bottom cover. The last thing you want is any sort of current passing through your battery management unit and/or logic board regardless of how minute it may be.

jasdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Make sure it's completely turned off, i.e., hold the power button down for 10 seconds even if it seems to already be off.

Don't have it connected to the charger or anything else while drying.

Definitely don't play with it, e.g., try to turn it on or anything while it's drying.

Wait a couple days for it to dry.
How many days exactly would you recommend?? it has already been two

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
How many days exactly would you recommend?? it has already been two

Yeah I would expect that if it's in a dry location, then 2 days would be enough for some water in a MBA to dry out. If it doesn't turn on, sounds like it's time to take it to a technician.

jasdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah I would expect that if it's in a dry location, then 2 days would be enough for some water in a MBA to dry out. If it doesn't turn on, sounds like it's time to take it to a technician.
I have turnt it on and it's working but I think that the track pad/ mouse is broken as it doesn't seem to be moving and the keypad worked and now is has stopped :( does anyone know what I should do as it's also playing the film I was watching in the background and I can't turn it off slightly annoying!

jasdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Also I have just reset it to see if that will work and the mouse and keyboard work on the lock screen but not when I have unlocked it? Also I'm thinking of taking it to someone to look at any suggestions that aren't expensive

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Also I have just reset it to see if that will work and the mouse and keyboard work on the lock screen but not when I have unlocked it? Also I'm thinking of taking it to someone to look at any suggestions that aren't expensive

That suggests a software or a firmware problem. I don't know why it would have started happening just now but you might be able to sort it out by doing an SMC reset and clearing the NVRAM.

jasdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 588

jasdx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
That suggests a software or a firmware problem. I don't know why it would have started happening just now but you might be able to sort it out by doing an SMC reset and clearing the NVRAM.
How do you do the smc reset and clear the nvram? And thank you for your help

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Ah I assume you are seeing this because it isn't recognizing the internal keyboard. Nothing to worry about.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
How do you do the smc reset and clear the nvram? And thank you for your help

I haven't done it recently enough to be able to give you a good answer. Googling is your best bet. It should be easy to find.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
I can't believe some of the advice offered here. The damage was done the moment the water entered the machine and the logic board got wet. Opening the case and disconnecting the battery will do nothing except let it dry quicker.

The machine will either work, or you will have to fess up and likely replace the logic board. Insurance with a "drops and spills" clause sure is handy for incidents like this...as my daughter can attest when one of her dumb-mass room mates poured a soda on her MBP.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I can't believe some of the advice offered here. The damage was done the moment the water entered the machine and the logic board got wet. Opening the case and disconnecting the battery will do nothing except let it dry quicker.

The machine will either work, or you will have to fess up and likely replace the logic board. Insurance with a "drops and spills" clause sure is handy for incidents like this...as my daughter can attest when one of her dumb-mass room mates poured a soda on her MBP.

If you boot up the computer holding Command, Option, L, D, the computer will run its liquid damage repair utility and all will be good.

/sarcasm

jasdx, you are causing more harm to your computer by running a current through it while there is (in all likelihood) still liquid in it. If it hasn't been opened it has not dried out properly.
Have it opened by a technician or the repair price will continue increasing, as you saw from the keyboard issues.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

fdmsua

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
You've done one thing I wouldn't have recommended which is to blow dry your device. See, blow dryers can heat up the device and mess with the internals. That's one thing you wouldn't want considering it might already be damaged by the spill.

I suggest that if you do plan to use the rice method again, cover up the ports. My cousin spilt water on her MB pro once and forgot to cover up her ports when she used the rice method. Now he can't use her headphone jack bec. a grain of rice got stuck inside.

I also suggest leaving your computer alone (without turning it on) for at least 24 hours. Then you can try turning it on. If your device seemed fine afterwards, then maybe the damage wasn't as bad as it seemed, but if there is, have it checked by the genius bar.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
A MacBook Air isn't properly recognizing its own internal keyboard after a water spill and you say there's nothing to worry about? Okay then.

Correct, that particular window showing up isn't anything to worry about. The keyboard is a separate topic. Try to follow the conversation instead of getting upset at me.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Correct, that particular window showing up isn't anything to worry about. The keyboard is a separate topic. Try to follow the conversation instead of getting upset at me.

He has a point; if the MacBook is not recognising the internal keyboard, it's clearly a defect from the water damage. If the keyboard and/or trackpad are not working, as well as having dialogue windows popping up asking for keyboards to be connected to back up this idea, then I'd say that's something to worry about seeing as the computer is not functioning properly...

Reactions: n-evo

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Funny that you are upset with the advice offered here when you don't seem to understand the mechanism of liquid damage. The concern is that the liquid is (usually) conductive and can electrically connect circuits that shouldn't be connected, so power going through one circuit could damage another. So the damage will occur when you try to do things with the computer (e.g., check to see if it will turn on). If the battery is connected, then some minimum amount of power will be going through some circuits and there's the potential for damage. So the advice to disconnect the battery is sound, and your idea that damage happens the moment liquid enters the machine is completely wrong.

Reactions: w1z
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.