HELP! SR Macbook (Not Charging)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jdmposer, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jdmposer macrumors newbie

hey guys, i just noticed this on my screen.

i read up on resetting SMC and the PRAM and did them... nothing changed.

i cleaned the magsafe port on the computer.. nothing changed.

i cleaned the magsafe port on the power cord.. nothing changed.

i put on the magsafe from my MBP.. nothing changed.

i took out the battery and cleaned everything up.. nothing changed

is there anything else i can do?

everything seems A ok coconut battery and on the system profiler.

thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Well done for posting the System Profiler screenshot
    - was this taken with the Magsafe charger connected?
    - does the Magsafe light come on yellow/green etc?

Everything on this screen looks OK. Your battery is good, the Mac is drawing the right current from it, the battery is nearly fully charged. So if there is a problem it is probably with the charger?????

3. potaco macrumors regular

I thought the battery only gets charged when it's below 95%.

edit: nevermind, was looking at the wrong part of screenshot.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I assume you took the screen shot with the AC connected with the MB. Your screen shot is showing "AC NOT connected". Hence, either your AC adapter is dead (the best case scenario), or it's the Magsafe board, or the part of your logic board talking to the Magsafe board died (worst case scenario).

Borrow an Apple charger from a friend to test it. If that doesn't solve the problem...

Assuming it's out of warranty, your options are:
    - sell the computer as-is on ebay and buy a new MB;
    - buy the Magsafe board from ifixit.com or ebay, and replace it yourself (this will only work if the issue was from your Magsafe board only)
    - get Apple or Apple Authorized Service centres to repair it (they will likely quote you a whole logic board replacement - being the worst case scenario)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't forget to repair permissions. ;) My Penryn black MacBook was doing this too. It's OK now.

6. jdmposer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys!

I used the ac from my umbp and it still wouldn't register.

i did CMD-OPT-P-R twice and got it working. however it takes a little moment longer than expected for the computer to think "oh the charger is plugged, i'll start charging"

i'm going to repair permissions on onyx very soon

i didn't expect anyone to say anything since the MBP section gets the most traffic these days.. :rolleyes:

good karma all around, thanks again!

7. jake222 macrumors newbie

Solution - YMMV

My macbook also started to not charge the battery. Battery is healthy, MagSafe Adapter is working fine (tested with another computer). I found that if I tapped just around the power adapter jack on the computer, sometimes it would start charging.

I opened up the macbook and found that there were two grounding prongs coming from the top of the dc-power jack that were possibly making an intermittent connection with the top of the case (the part that comes up with the keyboard). I bent these prongs up a little (so they would make better contact with the case), put it all back together, and it's been working since.

I don't know for sure why this has worked for me. I suppose it could be that the charging circuit was open, and improving this ground connection closed the circuit.

Anyway, YMMV. If you're going to take the thing apart, be so very careful as there are lots of screws holding the thing together. You'll want to be sure you put the right screws back in the right place.

Good luck.