HELP: Startup failure after installing SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by colorofwind, May 15, 2012.

1. colorofwind macrumors newbie

Hello, I installed a Crucial M4 128GB SSD into my 2011 iMac 27' yesterday. At first everything seemed fine. I formatted the SSD in Lion. But later when I started the computer again, Apple logo and a progress bar showed. Before it finished, the computer shut down itself. I've tried resetting PRAM and SMC, no luck. I tried to use internet recovery. The rotating globe showed and a few seconds later, it shut down again.

Now my iMac won't turn on when I press the power button. Unplug the power cable doesn't help either.

Did I mess with the hardware? Or is it software related?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Did you go to system preferences>startup disk and select your SSD as the new startup disk?

3. colorofwind thread starter macrumors newbie

No, because I haven't install Lion OS into SSD yet. Now it boots from the original hard drive.

Besides, I suspect the problem is due to RAM. Don't know if they are faulty but they run perfectly before.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

If your iMac is booting off your old drive then your RAM is not the problem. How did you format the SSD? You need to select Apple OS Extended Journal

5. colorofwind thread starter macrumors newbie

I formatted it using Disk Utility. Yes the format I chose was Mac OS Extended(Journaled). I originally have 4 RAMs, 4GB each. Should try using only one RAM probably.

6. colorofwind thread starter macrumors newbie

After I take off the SSD, system works perfectly. Maybe it's the problem of the SATA cable I ordered from eBay?