Help! Stolen iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by asdf212, Feb 16, 2012.

1. asdf212 macrumors regular

Help!

My iPhone was just stolen. I reported it to the police. However, while i was sending messages and locking it, the person disabled MobileMe it seems.
    What else can I do to track it?It is also jailbroken, is there anything I can do to track it?

Thanks in advance,

2. wpotere Guest

It is gone... Just get a new phone and be more careful.

3. superdudeo macrumors regular

Never understood the MobileMe thing. If someone is going to steal an iPhone, just turn it off or reinstall iOS. Pointless system in the majority of cases.

4. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

It has probably been wiped and reinstalled by now. Be sure to report the IMEI number to the police and to the phone company, so it can be blacklisted.

5. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Any of you guys remember the judge dread film where if you tried to use a law giver street judge gun ,it gave you a nasty electric shock ?

See where I'm going with this.........

7. asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

In the future. Is there any JB Program that I can use to track?

8. wpotere Guest

Nothing you can do at all. Once it is stolen, they will likely turn it off and then simply resort it to erase anything you had on it.

Just keep better track of your phone!

9. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

nothing works as good as the apple find my phone app. used it once my iphone was left in the cab...thank god he didnt wipe it.

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

If you have AT&T you can use family map to locate the phone. It will send a text message when you first activate it to let the person now that the device is being tracked. That will work as long as the phone is on with the sim card.

11. Ali. macrumors member

Inaccurate.

JB tweaks such as IGotYa have features that prevent the slide to turn off function from working on the lockscreen. Additionally you can have it set up that whenever the unlock code is incorrectly entered or someone is holding down the power button at the lockscreen, the tweak silently takes a photo using the front facing camera and then emails/texts the photo along with GPS coordinates.

The only thing that is possible with such tweaks is doing a forced reboot (power+home) but it comes back to the lockscreen anyway.

12. wpotere Guest

Yay, then what? Most police won't do anything about a phone. You going to go and show up to beat the guy up?

Phone is gone, your best defense is to not let it get stolen in the first place.

13. Ali. macrumors member

14. wpotere Guest

LOL, you do that here in the USA, you'll end up with a bullet in you. Going to someones house that you suspect stole something from you is not only a bad idea, but simply stupid.

Also it sure how many of these "I got my phone" back stories I believe.

If I got ahold of a phone that wasn't mine I would shut it down and only power it up into DFU mode for restore. All of the software that you bought and put on there would be pointless.

15. Ali. macrumors member

I don't live in the US, so it's not really my problem >.>

What an individual chooses to do with the tracking information is their own choice. Just because your too afraid to chase someone up about stolen property doesnt mean someone else is :) lol

Last time i checked, DFU mode is only possible while being tethered to iTunes, tethering the iPhone to an unrecognised computer forces the user to input the devices passcode before it can be accessed, right?

16. wpotere Guest

17. Ali. macrumors member

That article is assuming iTunes is already paired to the device...

I've never tried, but has anyone attempted to enter DFU mode on an unrecognised computer through iTunes? Also do jailbreak tools (redsn0w, greenpois0n etc) require iTunes to initiate DFU?

In any case, I think we are straying off the topic of discussion...

OP good luck.

18. wpotere Guest

You can do it to any iPhone. iTunes doesn't even recognize the device when it is connected as being paired. It simply sees it in DFU mode.

19. Ali. macrumors member

Yeah, that's right. But I'm not talking about that.

Notice he first step on entering DFU:

You need to connect your device to a computer and iTunes initially to successfully enter DFU mode. What I want to know is whether its possible to follow the steps for entering DFU on a new/unrecognized computer without having to enter the unlock code on the iPhone in iTunes.

(iTunes asks for you to enter your unlock code on your iPhone when it is connected to iTunes for the first time as a security measure.)

20. wpotere Guest

For the last time, yes. With the phone powered off, all you have to do is connect it to the computer and hold the buttons in the proper sequence. It will then go to DFU mode so that you can overwrite the currently installed iOS.

21. Ali. macrumors member

22. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

This, had someone try this with my moms phone. I tracked him 2 hours later to his work. I was fortunate he was unaware of the feature and hadn't the tool to remove the sim yet. He tried to weasel out of it after claiming it was his for a few minutes, but he was fired for the scene it caused.

23. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Advice for the future: USE A PASSCODE! Find my iPhone is awesome but without a passcode anyone can disable it in settings. If you don't like taking the extra second to get into your phone, I'd suggest setting up parental controls, allowing everything BUT location services and mail account settings to be changed. This way you can still get in your phone without a passcode but can't disable location services or delete a mail account without the parental passcode.

Good luck in getting your phone back.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or go a little further and disable the power off feature when the phone is on the passcode screen. There you can track it with findmyiphone and the person cannot turn the phone off. Only on JB devices offcourse.
    Or install iCaughtu from cydia that takes pictures with the front facing camera and emails it to you when someone enters the wrong passcode or tries to turn the phone off.
    Sends you their location along with their mugshot and time stamp. ;)