Help Stop Scalping by working together

Discussion in 'iPad' started by datapolitical, Mar 19, 2011.

1. datapolitical macrumors member

datapolitical

Call me crazy (or at least sleep deprived) but after waiting in line today for 6 hours, only to have stock run out after 20 people because most were buying two and planning to resell online for profit, and after seeing the innumerable threads on here and disappointed people every damn day, I figure it's time do something about this.

I have finals this week, but despite that, it seems there's a pretty straightforward way to beat these guys at their own game. It just takes a little help from your friends.

So, if you live in the bay area, I think it's time we started getting people to stores early and organizing shifts. At least where I live, I want to put the scalpers out of business, at least for the next week.

It's really quite simple and doesn't involve the exchange of any money. Stores in the bay area hand out tickets right before entrance. If people are willing to wait in shifts (of say 2-4hrs depending on the time of day), I'm confident we can nab every single one of the iPads that go on sale tomorrow. From there, we just play fairy godmother, and pick people, either in advance or in the line itself, who, for lack of a better word, deserve the device.

If for no other reason than it would royally piss off the scalpers who plan to line up early just to make a profit, I think it's worth doing. I know it sounds a bit stupid, but consider how happy you could make two people who just want an iPad (say, for a family member as a gift) and can't get one because the lines are too long.

After what I saw today, I know there's a better way to do this. And we among the MacRumors community can set the example of how good people can come together and do something nice for their community. Not for profit, not for charity, just to make the point that sometimes, decency can win out over greed.

2. ravenas macrumors regular

I'm on the other coast so can't help. I appluad your motive and sympathize with your frustration. (My iPad2 is on order at Apple and I won't bother searching in the stores anymore.) I'm just so disappointed in Apple for not curbing the scalper problem. They seem to sacrificing customer service for profit. Why the heck aren't they doing wait lists in the store?! Then you could at least track the same person isn't turning up day after day for more. And limit to 1 sale per person with credit card/IDs.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Lame

This is not your (our) problem to fix, it's Apple's.

4. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

I don't have an Apple store near me so I haven't witnessed the scalping first hand but after hearing everyone's concerns about this, I feel your pain. Good luck.

5. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Get in line before them and no one has to worry, it can't be that hard of a concept...

6. datapolitical thread starter macrumors member

datapolitical

Try being in line, part of the time in the rain, from 10PM until 8AM. It's not the most pleasant experience in the world.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

8. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I've done that before, but knew there would be a line so I (GRASP) got there pretty early to make sure I would get what I wanted. (iPhone 3G)

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I kinda find it hard to stop scalping when you have idiots who will pay an extra hundred bucks for an iPad. Hell, I could've bought another at Target and sold it at regular price for a 5 percent profit.

But I didn't because that's just not cool. It's another one of those money-making devices we Americans have perfected that isn't based on doing something well, just based on cutting off supply. I don't think Apple would cut back on supplies since you know they will sell out of whatever they can get out. If you wanted one that badly, you should've ordered online. If you're in another country, just wait.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

11. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

This is the very reason I ordered online. I won't wait in line for hours to purchase any product. I think Apple Screwed up when they did this the way they did. They are promoting this type of scam. You should take your time and have your people flood Apple with complaints. Of course its a hot item and this is going to happen when they sell them in retail stores trying to get people to stand in line. Big Apple product person but lately I'm not impressed with them.

12. rritterson macrumors 6502

playing kingmaker yourself is a good way to piss everyone who doesn't get an iPad, not just the scalpers. At least the scalpers are doing it for as much money as possible, but your choices could end up being arbitrary, which, for someone who doesn't get one, is going to be extremely frustrating.

I wouldn't wade into that pile of poo even if your motives are good.

13. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Although what you are suggesting is admirable, I don't think it is necessarily the right thing to do. First off, it won't stop scalping- that effort is much bigger than you are. Secondly, I feel that YOU deciding who gets an iPad is almost as bad as what the scalpers are doing...except they're getting paid for it. I don't think it would be wise for you to play iPad God and hand them out to whom you find WORTHY.

14. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

How, exactly, does one decide who is worthy of an iPad?

15. Rafterman macrumors 68000

They cut the line often.

16. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

+ 1.

What you want to do now is far worse than what the scalpers are doing.

I had to read this twice to make sure it said what I thought it said. First of all you want to organize a way to get as many tickets as possible. Then you want to walk around and question people on the reason they want an iPad and then you decide (with no clear criteria) on if they 'deserve' an iPad or not. At least people waiting in line can tell by their position if they have a chance or not. Under your method there is much more uncertainty.

This is a terrible idea. You obviously didn't think this through very well. You should also stop assuming all people buy two just for reselling. You really have no idea how many of those people did. You are just angry you didn't get an iPad. This sounds blunt but it must be said:

Quit your whining and get back in line. Let this plan die out.

Disclaimer: I don't scalp nor have I ever done so. This plan just logically makes no sense.