Help! Strange email on iPhone app store

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hrothgar, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

This is odd. My mom has an iPhone 5, up to date OS. When she tries to update apps the phone asks for the password, but to a strange, unknown email account. I've logged out of iTunes and the app store in settings and logged back in on her account, but it still has this strange account in there. Also, when I go into general/about, the iPhone as a strange name.

She says that recently when she was in her car using the Bluetooth connection, she got a message on the car asking if she wanted to start getting notifications for text messages. She hit yes, and now is having this problem.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is this A security issue?

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Restore, setup as new, login with her account and you should be good.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If she has an up that needs an update that was download it using another account then she will need that accounts email and password.
    Or if she installed a cracked app also that would ask for another apple id and password.
    What app update requires this strange apple ID do you know?
    Try to update them one by one to isolate the app that's purchased under someone elses account.
    Logging in and out of the appstore wont make a difference.

4. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

my first thought was that someone else downloaded an app for her. but that doesn't seem to be the case. I will try to figure out which one is the problem.

Her phone backs up to the cloud. If I restore it, how do I know that I wont put back whatever the current problem is?

But it's also very odd that the iPhone's name has changed.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird for sure.
    What did the name change to?
    You can always do a restore and setup as new to make sure everything is off but that's way more time consuming.