Help, strange hard drive problems causing kernel panics

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by StructAural, Nov 30, 2008.

1. StructAural macrumors regular

Hello there,

I've been running a 2TB setup for some time - 4 500GB satas in my 2007 mac pro. All SMART verified -even now.

Anyway yesterday I came home to find that the drive in bay 3 had disappeared from the desktop and wouldn't show up at all in Disk Utility. I shutdown, restarted and the disk reappeared, though after 2 minutes I got a kernel panic (which hasn't been logged in panic.log - strange that), restarted as root, kernel panic before I got to the desktop. Shutdown - removed drives, gave them all a blow, cleaned and reseated ram and restarted. Drive isn't there. Can't show panic.logs as nothing has been logged in that file since 2007, have reset PRAM but still the kernel, it panics.

Boot into Leopard startup disk (I have in a partition) and ran Disk Utility, drive shows up but SMART says unverified. Boot again into normal everyday mode and drive is there - bring up Disk Utilty and SMART status is okay. Then kernel panic - not even full screen, the grey overlay just gets to halfway. Console logs show no activity up to that point, last activity was a minute before. Run Disk utility and drive is reported as fine, no problems and then again kernel panic. Drive Genius repair says the same. Though haven't run full scan (don't really want to as I'm likely to get kernel panic and don't want that to happen during relocation of bad errors).

So in essence: If I remove the drive, no kernel panics. Drive in - kernel panic within 5 mins. Drive is intermittedly appearing on desktop, usually later than the other drives. Sometimes won't boot up. No problems with drive not in. This is my 'library' drive and is not backed up- can't backup up (I have space on an external USB drive) as kernel panic ensues.

Anyone have any ideas? Would a purchase of Disk Warrior help or does it sound like the drive is actually screwed?

thanks in advance.

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Wouldn't happen to be western digital digital Drives?

3. StructAural thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is. Is this a known problem? oh damn, so are the other 3... better check their batch numbers...

I had a bad batch of Seagate's so thought I'd done better with a WD. Seems this has some sort of hard disk controller problem as the SMART status is fine and the disk according to Disk Utility is fine.

Now I need to get the data off somehow, maybe XP would be more stable and allow me to use MacDrive to copy the data.

Or possibly I could put the drive into a USB case and maybe this wouldn't freak out OS X so much.

My 100GB iTunes library is on there (backed up 6 months ago, but that's a long time in music) :(

4. StructAural thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm glad I posted on here for some expert knowledge. :rolleyes:

*goes and buys enclosure for last ditch attempt at data recovery*