Help!! Strange startup problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbrown, May 6, 2010.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

MacbookPro 2.4 - Snow Leopard - 2 gig ram.

Hi All

Hope you can help me out here. The problem being if I start up my MBP, I get this: ( see pic )

I get no response from any keyboard input and to restart properly I have to pull the battery. I then press the power button holding down 'option', which gives me a choice of my 2 partitions ( this is on one internal hard drive partitioned into 2 drives - both have OS X systems ). I choose my main partition and it boots normally.

A bit of background.

I occasionally boot from a Linux CD ( GPARTED ). I do this so I can format / partition my phones MicroSD card. I have done this a few times with absolutely no problem.

But this problem started after the last time I used it.

I'm no techie - but it seems to me that on bootup the computer is looking for and not finding this Linux disk - and not then looking for other boot drives. So it gives me the 'No boot device' message.

I have tried inserting the Linux CD at this point but that doesn't work.

All help appreciated!:):)

Attached Files:

2. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Try holding D at startup to force the Mac to boot from the internal. (The page I got that from looks about 300 years old though.)

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

????????????

Reboot back into OSX and then go to system preferences > startup disk and select whichever of the 2 OSX partitions you normally boot from. Just click on whichever partition and then close the dialogue box - you don't need to restart.