Help! Strange text on Lion Login Screen???

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by joetweber, Jul 20, 2011.

1. joetweber macrumors newbie

joetweber

Unfortunately, I can't take a screenshot of it because I have to be logged out to see the login window... But the strangest thing is at the bottom:

Just above the Sleep, Restart, Shut Down buttons is a line of text that is the name of my old company. I changed the name months ago, and nowhere in my user settings or address book does this name appear... and yet I can't figure out why it's there or where to change/customize it!

Any ideas? Does anyone else have text here, and if so, what does yours say? :confused:

2. ledfrog macrumors newbie

ledfrog

You're looking at the edited contents of a file called com.apple.loginwindow.plist. It's located in Macintosh -> Library -> Preferences and it's a locked system file.

For OS X 10.6, there's a program called Onyx that allowed you to edit the contents of that file and put in your own custom message. I did it on mine and it was working great. Then I upgraded to Lion and although the message is still there, I can't edit it anymore! The only version of Onyx that works now is the new beta version, but it still doesn't have this option.

Anyway, I found a website that gives instructions on how to edit it:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20020921074429845

I haven't done it yet because my file doesn't look like their example and I don't want to screw it up.

3. joetweber thread starter macrumors newbie

joetweber

Thanks for the reply, ledfrog! You're absolutely right, I did use Onyx with Snow Leopard, I never thought about that...

I actually figured the answer out a few days ago and forgot that I had an open thread about the topic. This is what I found:

A search for "login window" in the Finder help menu yielded a topic titled, "Display a message in the login window."

4. ledfrog macrumors newbie

ledfrog

Wow! Was that always there? Or did they add that with Lion? I'm assuming it was added recently and that's why Onyx no longer has the option to edit it.

Thanks for the tip!

5. joetweber thread starter macrumors newbie

joetweber

It is a new feature in Lion as you suspected. I thought a more common-sense place for the option to appear would be under System Preferences > User Accounts > Login Preferences. (That's why I couldn't find it initially.)

Anyway, it's always cool to see Apple adopt third party features/apps into an OS. :)