HELP! Stripped a screw on the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MatrixPrime, Aug 20, 2007.

1. MatrixPrime macrumors regular

So I just got my new iMac last week, its my very first Mac, and I'm loving it. I'm loving it so much that I decided to buy some more RAM for it today....which turned out not to work in the machine for some reason, despite the fact that it was branded as working for the intel Mac (and had the same specs as the factory memory). Anyways, in the process of removing, attaching, removing and attaching the memory door on the bottom of the machine, I've now stripped the head on the screw. It isn't so stripped that I can't remove the door now, but all I can do is just start the screw, and then it just stops dead and the screwdriver just turns inside the screw head. Does anyone know what size/type of screw this is? I want to replace it with a flathead screw, something that is a lot harder to strip.

Thanks.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

just bring it (the stripped screw) to your local hardware store and they'll give you the right one. i do this alot for other stuff.

3. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

I almost stripped mine putting in my RAM. I got it off fine, but then had a hard time putting it back on. The center just wouldn't screw down flush. I kept trying to put it on, then took it off and tried again. I tried to unscrew the little screw by hand while I had the door off, but it didn't seem to be doing anyhting. Now that I finally got it back on, I hope I don't ever need to take it off again.

4. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Are you guys using the wrong size screw drivers or crappy bits?

Can someone post an upclose pic of this screw?

5. mrmjd macrumors regular

I've actually heard of someone else doing this too on these boards, so I think the screws on the new iMacs seem a bit soft.....Just be very, very careful unscrewing and make sure you use the right head for the screwm hopefully this should prevent this issue

6. johnmcboston macrumors 6502

johnmcboston

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only idiot having this problem. :) I slightly stripped mine as well. I sat there with my collection of micro tools to try and remove this thing without causing damage. I think the screw was installed with pneumatic tools it was so hard to loosen the thing up.

An interesting bit in the 'manual' included hints that the Mac won't run without this access panel installed. I wonder if the screw hits a micro switch in there, of if the manual is bogus and is just trying to be safe...

7. aquanutz macrumors regular

Had the exact same problem last week! The screw comes out easy enough, but the little bastard just won't go back in properly.

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

im guessing, from taking apart my PBs numerous times, that there is a blue dot on the threads of the screw (might be a different color) this dot is a small amount of loctite, which prevents the screw from working itself out due to the vibrations of something like the fan. this can make it more difficult to install or remove the screw (but at least your screw wont fall out on its own). removing and reinstalling the screw once or twice is usually no problem, but the excess friction from removing the screw numerous times has a tendency to break down the loctite which will result in the screw being more difficult to install or remove. a solution is to clean off the screw and apply a new drop of loctite (very small drop as the screws are probably very small themselves) the loctite when first applied acts as a bit of a lubricant as you insert the screw, but as the screw remains installed the loctite sets and the screw will not want to move anymore.

as a general comment, I am surprised apple went with the design of having screws. i would have expected some sort of spring-loaded 1/4 twist retention device similar to what is used to hold in the batteries on the portables.

9. aquanutz macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more.

10. johnmcboston macrumors 6502

johnmcboston

Profile. This is a very tiny screw, for a very tiny plate. If you've ever seen memory, the slot isn't much bigger. I'm not sure they could make spring-loaded that small. Although interesting, it's easier to strip a phillips head than a slotted head... Were I not in a rush the other day I would have taken some photos...

11. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I use loctite all the time (I work on cars a lot)

In no way shape or form is loctite a lubricant... It is a threadlocker. If you put blue strength loctite on that screw I can guarantee you will never be able to get it out.

There may be some type of coating on the screws, but it is not blue strength loctite...

12. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

I use loctite too (kit car builder) and I would disagree with your statement about it not being a lubricant. Threadlock dries in the absence of air and this process takes a finite amount if time. Before it dries it does act as a lubricant and helps the fastener to be fastened more smoothly. This is especially important to remember when torqueing up bolts because without some lubricant your torque figures will be inconsistent.

Cheers,
    Craig.

13. MatrixPrime thread starter macrumors regular

well I took the screw to a local hardware as suggested, and got a new, and MUCH better screw. The head of the screw is actually bigger on the replacement, but you can't see it. Also got the correct screw driver for this screw, which is a #1.

If anyone needs to replace theirs, its a metric 3mm screw.

14. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

You are correct in that tq specs can be inaccurate with out lube, but loctite thread locker is NOT a lube. You can contact loctite and ask them yourself.

I use ARP Moly Assembly Lube when I need to tq bolts with accuracy. (Head bolts would be a prime example)

Additionally what does fastener lube or tq accuracy have to do with the iMac screw?

People are complaining about striping them, so the solution is to put loctite on them so they will strip even more in the future?

P.S. Loctite dries in the PRESENCE of air... Or wouldn't it dry in the tube?

15. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Did you get stainless?

16. johnmcboston macrumors 6502

johnmcboston

Since you did some research - what was the Length as well

thanks

- J

17. MatrixPrime thread starter macrumors regular

its the same type as the factory screw.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Type is not the same as the material it is made out of. Does it look like it was there in the first place?

19. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

It looks easy but I find it a bitch to Upgrade the RAM!

I thought I almost stripped it too but it was just stuck. I just picked up a Kingston 2GB RAM, running 3GB. I was thinking about picking up two but I think I'm going too far/spending, it's not like I'm running Software that NEEDS it.

BTW, it cost me $160 CAN, taxes-in.

20. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I agree, it is NOT a lubricant. and that is why i said
    so it acts like a lubricant b/c it makes inserting the screw easier, but it definitely does the job after the screw is inserted and as the loctite sets it will not allow the screw to turn.

I work on cars too, more specifically jeeps :) I also work on computers and such electronics. There is a HUGE difference b/w the stuff loctite makes for cars as apposed to what they make for electronics. I agree, if you use car strength loctite on your iMac you might not ever get it apart. Go to you local electronics shop (radio shack, frys, wherever) and pick up some loctite there, its a very different grade and will work well with electronics and small screws which would be found in the iMac.

21. MatrixPrime thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I meant by type. Yes, it looks identical (aside from the larger sized head) to the factory screw.

As for length, I don't know, I just handed it to a guy at the local hardware and he found me one.

22. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I was not aware loctite made products for electronics.. Hmm. Good to know.

I just want to make sure know one runs to walmart and picks up some blue loctite and uses it on their computer.. haha. It would then be permanetley sealed.. lol

P.S. My friend is rebuilding a 86' CJ7

23. island macrumors 6502

island

Wow, didn't think I would see this topic here. I stripped mine on the first day and I have about 20 different sizes of phillips that I have tried at my PC shop. I called up Apple asking about what the deal was and they told me to bring the entire machine in for replacement instead of allowing me to get a new bottom piece or screw.

Took a week to find one in stock but they replaced the system for me just for that little piece and all I wanted was a chance to replace the screw! At least I know that it's a flaw on there side for putting in a wacky shaped/built screw.

24. stuff99 macrumors 6502

I almost stripped my screw too...the screw is very soft...

I dont know if I can open up the ram slot again if I decide to upgrade my ram again...

25. mrmjd macrumors regular

It's crazy we're even having this conversation! I can't believe that we have to go to this trouble in taking a screw out and replacing it! Bad marks for Apple on this one! There should be a better mechanism than this :(