Help, stripped screw MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hawk1410, Sep 10, 2011.

1. hawk1410, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Well, i was trying to install the owc data doubler on my MBP 2011. I was removing the Airport assembly, one of the 2 screws on the assembly just would not open, i was using the correct head(ph#00) but it still did not come off. I ended up applying way too much pressure and now the screw is completely stripped. Help me please, the screw head is totally round right now, and i don't know what to do to get it off

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Go to your local Sears. Ask someone in the hardware section. You'll likely need a Dremel tool. You'll also need some practice first, before you stick it inside your machine.

3. hawk1410 thread starter macrumors 6502

what sort of dremel tool, aren't they just the makers, which specific tool from dremel do i require

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Generally a "dremel" refers to a rotary drive tool that takes different kinds of attachments; in your case, the deal is to get a cut-off wheel which can be used on a screw head to cut a line that can be used with a flat head screwdriver (the blade kind) to remove it after it has been stripped.

A likely problem with that here is that you're probably dealing with a flat head screw, which means the head is flush to what it's screwed into, and getting a cutting wheel that fine to do this is going to be difficult.

A better idea to get some screw extractor drivers; search on that at Amazon and you'll see what I'm referring to. Gunsmith sites may also have them. They are essentially like reverse bit drills. Finding one that small should be possible. Worse case scenario is you drill it out completely; you could then retag, or perhaps more conveniently just glue the sucker back on when you're finished and forget the screw. Or use a small self-tapping screw with a countersunk head.

rob