Help! Stuck at log-in screen - but haven't just upgraded... ?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBiscuit, Dec 16, 2007.

1. MacBiscuit macrumors member

I note from the Apple support site that there is a known issue with al iMacs when upgrading to Leopard from 10.4 where you end up stuck in a loop at the log in screen. The solution is apparently an archive and install...

However I upgraded weeks ago without any problems and suddenly today I cannot access my main user. Has anyone else experienced this? I can archive and install if I must, but I don't want to have to do this every few weeks - that's not why I bought an Apple...

Any ideas how to fix this?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Archive and Install is the solution.

But you won't have to do that every few weeks, it is a bug with the upgrade method. Upgrades I'd never advise, on XP, Vista, Mac etc.

Always best starting fresh.

3. MacBiscuit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That's what I did, and it worked, until the next issue...

I understand what you say, however its a real hassle doing a completely clean install and then migration apps, passwords, preferences etc. One of the things that is supposed to be different about Macs is the seamless upgrade, and across a G3 ibook and G4 mini from 10.2 through 10.4 that's exactly how it's been. The iMac and 10.5 have been different. Sad to say but the experience is increasing Microsoft like...

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im sorry you have that impression, but all modern OSes I tried, there is no such thing as "seemless upgrade". When each one of them getting more complicated. Expect clean installation every time.

5. MacBiscuit thread starter macrumors member

I have to disagree - 10.2 - 10.3 - 10.4 across three Macs migrating the same apps and user account was absolutely seamless.

Anyhow - 10.5.2 broke the system completely so I've thrown the towel in and done a completely fresh install - hopefully my faith in OS X will be restored... ;)