Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
My MacBook Pro's SuperDrive suddenly stopped being recognized by the computer -- If I go in to system profiler, it doesn't see any optical drive at all. The drive will spin up when I boot up/wake up the computer, but it's not being recognized. I suspect the data cable may have come disconnected somehow. I called AppleCare and they're going to fix the problem, but I'll have to send the laptop in to get it fixed.

The drive died with a very important CD in it which I need tomorrow (of course; Murphy's law :rolleyes:). Is there any way I can get the disc out before I send in the laptop for repair? I know my old tray-loading iBook had an emergency eject paperclip hole; is there anything similar on the MBP?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I hope someone can help me out!

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Have you tried rebooting the system and holding down the "mouse" button? That works on desktops, not sure about laptops tho.

Also, I've heard cases before where people just tip their laptop up and the disc fall out. Might b worth a go.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
robbieduncan said:
Restart the machine holding down the mouse button (from before the grey screen with the Apple logo appears).

No luck -- the computer doesn't seem to recognize any sort of eject command.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
hotwire132002 said:
No luck -- the computer doesn't seem to recognize any sort of eject command.

Sounds like it doesn't think that the drive exists at a hardware level as that's about as fool proof as it gets.

A certified Apple tech could remove the drive and maybe get the disk back...

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
robbieduncan said:
Sounds like it doesn't think that the drive exists at a hardware level as that's about as fool proof as it gets.

A certified Apple tech could remove the drive and maybe get the disk back...

That's what I figured -- I'll have to find a workaround for tomorrow, and then send in the laptop to AppleCare. Thanks for the help, though!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you open the Terminal and type

Code:
ioreg | grep IODVD

what do you get?

I get (with a working DVD drive on a MBP):

Code:
jay:~ robbie$ ioreg | grep IODVD
    | |   |   |           +-o IODVDServices  <class IODVDServices, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>
    | |   |   |             +-o IODVDBlockStorageDriver  <class IODVDBlockStorageDriver, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>

If you get those lines then the machine knows the hardware is there...

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
robbieduncan said:
If you open the Terminal and type

Code:
ioreg | grep IODVD

what do you get?

I get (with a working DVD drive on a MBP):

Code:
jay:~ robbie$ ioreg | grep IODVD
    | |   |   |           +-o IODVDServices  <class IODVDServices, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>
    | |   |   |             +-o IODVDBlockStorageDriver  <class IODVDBlockStorageDriver, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 6>

If you get those lines then the machine knows the hardware is there...

I get nothing; just a blank line.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
robbieduncan said:
That basically confirms it. The drive is so dead it's not recognised at a very low level.

Sorry :(

It's OK, it's not your fault. ;)

Like I said, I'll find a way to manage without the disc tomorrow and get the laptop sent in for repair next week.

Thanks again for your help!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
funkychunkz said:
could the drive be disconnected? physically?
I think that's the case -- my guess is, the data cable somehow came disconnected. Obviously, that's not user-servicable, so I'll have to send the computer in to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.