Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umagrama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hey guys,

This is my first time having some serious problems with my first MacBook, and I was hoping someone out there could help me out.

This macbook was bought on June 2006 (a white MB) with I believe the 10.4.6 OSX on. I gave it to my dad which is across the world and he called desperate a few days ago saying that the system won't boot up. When the power button is pushed on and the system starts, rings the Apple bell and soon after colorful vertical lines show up across the screen and the system freezes.

Here's what I found out from my research on the topic, for some macs of that generation, when the system updates from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 some video card issue causes this glitch to happen. The solution: zap the PRAM (by holding control + command + p + r when booting the computer.) My dad has tried this approach many times and it doesn't solve it. We also tried booting it with the installation disc and that didn't work. We also tried the safe mode boot and that also didnt work.

I am out of ideas and all the answers i find on the web is to zap the pram but that is not solving the problem. Anyone has any other suggestion?

Aloha!

umagrama

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Can you take a picture?

It could very well could be a problem with the display itself or the logic board. A photo would help narrow it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.