Help swapping hard drives between two Mac's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by entatlrg, Aug 23, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have a 15" MBP with 256ssd installed and a 13" MBP with a 250gb 5400 drive.

I prefer to use the 13" as my main computer and want to take the 256ssd drive from the 15" and put it in the 13". Then take the 250gb drive from the 13" and put it in the 15"

How hard is this to do? I've not done something like this before. Since I'm swapping an ssd with a regular hd is it as easy as following the instructions on this forum, remove the screws and swap the drives?

After that's done I'll need to overwrite the 15" software and load the OS and drivers for the 13" on to the ssd drive. Is that as simple as taking the restore disk for the 13" put it in the drive and reinstall the OS?

Or, should I just take it to the local authorized Apple Dealer and have them do it? (We don't have an Apple store nearby.

Thanks in advance for any help/tips.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. SSDs are the same size/shape and go in the same place as HDDs.

No you won't. Mac OS X is Mac OS X no matter what computer it's running on. There's no need to reinstall.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, have someone do it for you.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks!

youtube makes it look pretty easy, I won't even have to take the drives from the housing .... just unscrew and unplug and swap it sounds like.

With no drivers etc to reinstall it sounds to easy, I spent too long in the windows world I think :)

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Just to be double sure,

When I swap the hard drives and don't reinstall the OS and I open System Profiler the ssd drive from the 15" that's now in the 13" is now going to show the details for the 13" ?