Help. switching hard drives between macbook and macbook pro!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clin86, Jul 25, 2009.

1. clin86 macrumors regular

basically i bought a new macbook pro and i took my old hard drive from my unibody macbook and switched it out. now the computer doesnt boot. it just stops at the apple logo. does anyone know why?

2. wopper macrumors newbie

Probably you have to select the boot media, i thought was: start your laptop with ALT or the letter C pressed. Then you can select you bootmedia, try a google on "mac apple select boot media"

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's probably some differences in how the system interacts with the different hardware in the two models. What works for one might not work for the other- Archive and Install would be better than just straight switching them.

4. clin86 thread starter macrumors regular

i did try the option key. it still doesnt work even after selecting the hard drive. arent leopard all the same since if you are able to boot from a hard drive, shouldnt u be able to boot on the computer?

5. clin86 thread starter macrumors regular

6. ascender macrumors 68000

Have you tried reinstalling Leopard on the drive? Macs can be very specific about the version of OS X you use to install on a drive - most of the time you must use the discs that came with the machine or OS X won't install, so it shouldn't be a surprise that this hasn't worked.

Or at least start the install program and check the hdd using disk utility maybe?

7. clin86 thread starter macrumors regular

i did an archive and reinstall by popping the install disc in, yet it gave me an error saying i couldnt complete the installation. please contact the software manufacturer.
    is there anyway i can pop the hard drive and an external case and transfer files over?
    migration assistant only transfers the files over but not the settings.

8. Z06jerry macrumors regular

You cannot do this, since the hardware is different. I know by first hand experience! In my case my MBP did boot form the MacBook HD, but it didn't work properly.

This is correct. You must re-install Leopard using the disc that came with your new MBP.

9. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Your computer might be looking for the startup drive that you have removed. Have you tried holding down the option key while restarting? - this will let you choose your start-up disc. If you can restart from the MacBook drive you will still have to re-install Leopard from the new disc to make it work properly.