Help Switching to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xSOTYx, Aug 20, 2007.

1. xSOTYx macrumors member

Hey, I have been reading alot of reviews on the lastest Macs and would be grateful of some advice in help with buying a Mac. I have just sold my iBook Clamshell and my windows computer is going to a new home in a week or two's time.

I want to switch totally over to Mac, but thats where my problem starts. I have been looking at MacBook, Mac Mini and iMac. I really can't choose! I know that I deffinatley want to have a MacBook as well as one of the others to accompany it, but im just not sure which to start of with. Do I get the MacBook first then invest in one of the others a month down the line? Or do I get one of the others and then the MacBook? This is really what id like help with some advice on the options and what would do be best to have to start off using Mac. (If i was going to get a Mac Mini id buy the top model and have the RAM upgraded to 2GB, If i was to get iMac it would be the £799 model, The MacBook I want is the £699 model).

If its any use to you, I generally use my computer for mail, IM, Music - both listening and producing on a small scale at the moment, Internet and other bits and pieces.

I would really appricate any advice/help that people can give. Thanks in advance to anyone that replys to this post.
    xSOTYx :)

2. TheChillPill macrumors regular

My first question would be why do you want to get two machines? If you are not going to be using 2 at the same time, and just want a desktop setup whilst at home, then I would suggest simply hooking a macbook up to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. This also has the added benefit of having everything on one machine.

If there is some other reason, then that reason could well dictate which machine will be most suitable for you.

3. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

4. xSOTYx thread starter macrumors member

The reason I want two machines is that I when I go away snowboarding and on day trips to the dome its nice to have something with me so I can instantly see how pictures and films come out etc. And being able to still have my computer with im on trips also. Plus there is a chance I may be away from home for a few months next year.

Another reason was that my desktop at home stays on pretty much all the time, and i dont think a notebook would be able to handle that.

5. TheChillPill macrumors regular

I have a MacbookPro that is on 24/7, and I've never had any issues with it. As long as you look after the battery, it'll be absolutely fine.

If that is your only reason, I would definitely go with just the macbook hooked up to an external monitor.

However, if your mind is really set on having 2 systems, I'd probably go the Mac Mini route - but that is purely based on cost (and they still pack some pretty good performance). You can pick up a decent 19"-22" TFT fairly cheaply, so you would be looking at around £600 for a mini and decent display. Whether the extra premium for the iMac is worth it I guess would be down to personal choice - but from my point of view I would save the extra cash and also leave open the option of using the mini as a media centre and hooking up the monitor to the macbook - if you later decided that you only needed the one machine in the end.

6. xSOTYx thread starter macrumors member

That sounds like a really good idea. Ill buy the MacBook first see how things go with that to whether or not I get the Mac Mini. I currently have a Dell 19" Flat screen I play 360 on so I think ill use that for the MacBook should I require an external display.

Thanks for your help, Really appricate it.
    xSOTYx