Help! Sync cable compatibility?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. maus macrumors regular

I'm thinking of picking up a 4th gen iPod Touch, but the seller is not including the sync/charger cable. I still have the cable from my old iPod Video 5G. Will that work?

Here's a pic of the one I currently have:

[​IMG]

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. maus thread starter macrumors regular

4. WLS, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

WLS macrumors 65816

No they are not all the same. If that is a USB 2 cable it will not work well. If the old iPod is a fifth gen video Nano then you should be OK. A Classic I would doubt it had USB 3.
    I have an old cable from a car charger and I found it would take 4 times as long to sync since it was a USB 2 - they are still fine for just charging.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

No current apple products have USB 3.

USB 1 or 2 will still work though.

6. WLS macrumors 65816

My mistake. I meant 1 and 2 not 2 and 3. hard to keep all the old stuff straight at my age.
    :eek:

7. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

So the iPod Video definitely had USB 2.0, and the cable therefore should and will be fine.

Also, USB 1.1 is about 40 times slower than USB 2.0 in theory - USB 2.0 is really a lot slower than its stated speed (Firewire 400 is a lot faster than USB 2.0 - 400 vs. 480 Mbps rated speed respectively) because of the way it works. It doesn't matter though - you can't get around USB 2.0 in any way right now.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

You and me both. I was in the Apple store yesterday waiting to see the Genius, and was looking at some stuff with Safari, and suddenly couldn't get the cursor to move properly. I fiddled around and finally my mind came back and I realized I was trying to use the magic mouse like a trackpad. sheesh.