Help Syncing contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mkstretch, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mkstretch macrumors newbie

mkstretch

I got 2 Verizon iPhones, and am having trouble syncing contacts. I am using Windows 7 windows contacts. I tried creating 2 different groups for my wife and me. But when I sync it just wipes out my list on the phone. Is there an easy way to separate and sync our contacts? Thanks!!!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Bear in mind that what Apple calls "groups" Microsoft calls "Folders".
    If you make another folder, inside your inbox folder in Outlook, and place the other contacts there, then go into iTunes and you should now see the new "group", select that group, and sync the appropriate phone.
    Another solution, would be for one of you to sync your contacts to Gmail. You don't have to use the Gmail account for mail, but it can safely store your contacts and sync with iTunes.

3. mkstretch thread starter macrumors newbie

mkstretch

Thanks so much James for the help! I just saw that Verizons app called VZ Contact Transfer will keep everything backed up on both my phones as long as I do a manual sync every 30 days. I dont know if I like the manual part. will probably use one of your methods.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

No matter what you decide, make sure that you do a backup in iTunes at least once a week. If and when you have to do a restore on one of those phones, you will thank youself/;)
    You can also look into MobileMe, that will keep your mail, contacts, calendars, etc. synced between all devices, email accounts, and webmail.