HELP: system drive died during initial Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrCrowbar, Dec 10, 2011.

1. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

So I got this error yesterday saying that the Time Machine backup needs to be re-done because it was corrupted. I had that a couple of times before so I just let it run over night.

Now it still was backing up (70 GB or so remaining of 500) until recently. I stopped the backup because I needed to reboot, waited for the Time Machine "cleaning up" to finish and shut down the computer, it was stuck at a gray screen, stayed like that for 2 hours, no clicking from the hard drive, just the spinning noise. So I held the power button and pressed it again to reboot. Well, the Macbook won't boot from that drive and whatever Mac I plug in into, I immediately get the "the disc you inserted was not readable by this computer" error. Disk utility says it's unformatted and shows just the drive itself, no volumes on it.

I assume the partition table or formatting is corrupt. Is there a way to make it work again without losing all the data? I got another Mac and a USB enclosure where I can put the drive into. Please Help!

2. MrCrowbar, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

MrCrowbar thread starter macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

so the drive is still clicking normally when I hook it up via USB, but it seems there's no volume on it...