Help. ... System preferences frozen on desktop picture pane

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigpoppamac31, Jun 4, 2013.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So my System Preferences has frozen. Never done that before. It froze on the "Desktop and Screensaver" panel. I clicked on one of the iPhoto folders and it just suddenly froze. I forced quit and re-opened which didn't help. When I re-open the iPhoto folders don't load and I just get the spinning wheel. Also restarting my Mac doesn't help and relaunching the Finder doesn't help. Any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

How much time have you given System Preferences to try to load the iPhoto Library? Is the iPhoto Library on your internal HDD / SSD or an external HDD?

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

My iPhoto library always loads instantly upon opening the Desktop/Screensaver pane. I found out I can open System Prefs while holding the shift key therefore allowing me to access all other panes. But once I click on the Desktop/Screensaver Pane it freezes in a second or two and the iPhoto folders don't show up. I just get the beach ball again.

iPhoto library is on my internal drive.

4. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay so I figured it out. When I click on the iPhoto triangle therefore showing all the folders within it there's one that if I click on it it freezes preferences. This option doesn't even show up in iPhoto when I open it. Maybe it's one of those "hidden files". I there is a way to remove it that would be great.

It's a file or folder called 2012-07-20. Here's a screenshot. Maybe someone knows what it is.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=415181&stc=1&d=1370375003

Attached Files:

5. The Gorn macrumors newbie

Desktop Pics & Screensavers Frozen Here, Too!

I'm having the same infuriating problem! Only my System Preferences locks up simply by opening the Desktop Pictures & Screensaver panel. I tried trashing the .plist file and .plist.lockfile, and repaired permissions - all to of no avail.

Thanx in advance for any other suggestions!

6. n6ac macrumors newbie

Imac 2008 with new Crucial M500 SSD - Locking up

Imac 2008 with new Crucial M500 SSD running 10.6.8 - System Preferences locks up, beachballing - and Menu bar never completely loads its usual stuff - and can't take screenshots
    I booted with cmd-S and used Applejack to clean caches - no joy