Help! System Up-grade?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by donnetrav, Nov 25, 2012.

1. donnetrav macrumors newbie

Hello. I currently own an iMac G5 — purchased on eBay 2 1/2 to 3 yrs ago.
    It did not come with any CD's. However, it was loaded with the usual apps.
    I am currently running OS 10.5.8. I believe it is the first of the Lion apps. I am experiencing multiple download problems. I'm thinking that I need to upgrade to a later system. Can I upgrade to "Mountain Lion" or "Snow Leopard"? Would
    this possibly solve my problem? I am looking for any in-put on this matter. This is my first machine with all the new apps & gadgets. I previously and still own a G4 "Mirrored Door" Power Mac. Please help. Thanks ever so much

2. simsaladimbamba

If it is a G5 iMac, Mac OS X 10.5.8 is the last version of Mac OS X you can run on it, since Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion all require an Intel Mac.

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

What does that mean? Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is a separate Mac OS X version and is not part of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, which was released four years after Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. Edie Brickell macrumors member

If you can upgrade to Snow leopard, you can upgrade to lion and mountain lion as well. But you have to first check your system configuration with snow leopard here
    Intel processor
    DVD drive (or Leopard’s Remote Disc feature)
    1GB RAM
    A built-in display or a display connected to your Mac’s stock video card
    5GB free hard-drive space